JT101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, before everyone ?dogpiles? me :redface: for spouting this heresy this I have been doing a lot of ?research? on the benefits of having and NOT having filter socks, and I?ve come to the conclusion that they are beneficial and they are a detriment at the same time. This is based upon MANY threads I've seen all over the web where there are proponents of (and detractors of) filter socks. I tend to fall in the latter category after all this reading. Why?

• Filter socks keep water crystal clear by removing suspended silt, sand, ?mulm? and detritus from the water column. Filter socks also KEEP this same unwanted material in the water and allow trapped ?mulm? and detritus the opportunity to decompose until it?s so small that it passed through the filter?s mesh anyway, and even before that the water is being continually polluted by this material as is decomposing.
  • Filter socks are beneficial in keeping water clarity pristine be exporting the material they can catch and getting out of suspension in the water column. Filter socks also must be changed regularly ? if they are not, they become bacterial breeding grounds. Even when you DO change them out, the stuff has already been in there for X period of time - it's not getting any less decomposed as it sits there, even for a day.

The way I look at it, AS LONG AS YOU ARE DILIGENT at removing filter socks on a VERY short-term basis ? say, 2-3 days max ? they are probably OK, but they do not continually export material, they only hold it "off to the side, so to speak, until you intervene and change the sock out.

Now here?s my idea: Remove the filter socks and allow the skimmer to gunk-up a little faster because now it?s going to see water with more suspended crap in it. This should result in gunkier skimmate which is CONTINUOUSLY BEING EXPORTED instead of just ?held? as in the case of a filter sock. The idea here is to remove instead of just sequester :wink1:

OK, I?m ready ? let me have it :smash: !

-John

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I pretty much came to the same conclusion when I had my 75 up and running. I ran it for the first year without one and then started using it. I changed them every 2-3 days and it was a PITA. After about 3 months of doing that and alot of research, I removed them completely and my tank was better. I had much more skimmate coming from my skimmer and my nitrates started going down. This was also around the same time I set up my 30 long display fuge, so that could be the explanation on the drop in trates. I think filter socks are more trouble than the are worth

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I prefer not to have to vacuum the bottom of my sump, so the socks stay.;) Even though they are a PITA to change out every other day.:happysad: Plus they keep spray down so no more salt creep on my door.;)

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Filter socks also catch alot of beneficial life. But emptying skimmer cup or rinsing filter socks... basically a matter of preference. Skimmer cups need to be wiped clean, expecially the neck. The mesh sock gets rinsed out the same way. Some people like to do more to have added filtration. Skimmer also removes beneficial life from tank. All that gunk on my sock when i remove is taken out of system. Anything that decomposes like u say or disolves to smaller particles, the skimmer can handle. I dont mind using socks, skimmer, and carbon. And even gfo. Skimmer also aerates and helps with PH. Carbon takes out chemicals as well as organics. And The filter socks catch bigger pieces that if not caught would clog my carbon and make my skimmer sludge up faster. :0)

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Yea, the filter socks hold stuff, but so does the tank if you don't use them. The stuff the socks catch would just end up sitting in the dt, fuge, sump etc. How often are people cleaning their tanks and sumps?
Change them every few days otherwise there is no sense in running them.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
You had me for a little while there. I almost contemplated taking my filter socks out. But this only works well for some.

My sump, however, would get silted over in a couple months. This would certainly disrupt the tank and affect overall stability not to mention the better part of a weekend afternoon spent cleaning it out.

Would much rather take a couple minutes once a week to change a filter sock.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Yeah...I dont see what all the fuss is about, takes no time at all to change a filter sock. not really that much of a PITA. If changing it out every few days is really that much of a pain...maybe its time to make it easier.

I said it is a PITA for me, because I have issues with my knees & back so I can't kneel, or just bend over which would make it easier. Not to mention that my sump is not the best either. Drains are awkwardly placed for the socks. One day I will make myself a better sump.;)

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
My filter socks(all 8 of them) take 2 minutes to change In adition, the way my sump is designed only a very small peice of the sock actually touches/submerged in the water. As a result even if my socks are completely clogged its not soaking in the rest of the sump water. And if they get clogged to the point of no return the water is diverted automatically. I will never run my system without them.

Last edited:

JT101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that there are several proponents of filter socks, and I understand that it's probably because it's really not that big a deal to actually take them out. Even for me, it only takes me a few seconds to gradually pull them out of the round cutouts in my sump. However, it's not all about just taking them out. They have to be cleaned too. What I usually do is take them outside, lay them on the cement patio (which I spray clean first for a few seconds) then I blast the socks with a hose until they are clean. Next, I swing them around to dry them out as much as possible, finally I leave them out in the sun and a few days later I do the same thing to the other ones that are in the sump.

The above operation takes a lot more than a few seconds.

As far as the rotation thing goes, I only have 2 sets. I thought about getting another set but then I thought - how does that benefit me? Say I had 7 sets and bothered to change them every day. I'd still have to clean the ones that just came out, right? That chore doesn't go away. You still have to clean out the ones you just took out right away, whether it's one of 2 pair or one of 7 you can't just leave them somewhere to fester.

I understand that the above may seem like a rationalization for getting rid of socks. In other words, "it's too much trouble, so I'm not going to do it". That's not really my reasoning behind my decision. I just wanted to set the record straight that it's not as quick as it may seem.

Now back to the "no sock thing":

I actually yanked them out this morning ;) .

Home from work about an hour ago, and nothing seems amiss. Water just as clean as it was yesterday. However, I noticed that my skimmate is already a little darker than usual. I'm going to monitor things for a while and see how it goes. If it doesn't work for me - and, as is the case in many hobbies what works for one may not work for another - I'll commit to socks. We'll see.

-John

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Every once in a while just suck that crap outta your sump.
JT101- I know I said I dont like using them but as far as cleaning them you can try washing them in your washing machine with a capful of bleach and then run them thru the rinse cycle with no bleach. This is what I use to do. It works well for a while but after a couple of monthe you have to buy new ones. If I ever get to set up another tank I will not be using socks ( except on my feet lol)

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I did away with my filter socks several weeks ago, because I need to keep my water at 10" for my skimmer my socks are almost completely covered by water. I must have 20 socks that used to accumulate, when my wife is out for several hours I would sneak them into the washer. Lol
I've been using a turkey Baster every day and blowing the juck on the bottom of the sump into suspension so there's know buildup so far water quality has not suffered.

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's only been a few weeks probably to early to tell but I'll keep you posted!
Another idea I may try is adding 1 or more small powerheads to the sump although there maybe problems with bubbles

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Cleaning them is not a big deal for me.;) I have 5 pairs, I use a pair for 2 to 3 days. Change them out, and leave the soiled ones in a bucket until I am down to last pair. Then I turn them inside out, throw them in to the washer with a 1/4 cup of non-scented clorox under normal wash on the double rinse. Then I put them through the washer at least once more again with the double rinse. So the actually get rinsed 5 times.;)
I'd rather do the above then have to clean the sump even if only monthly. Cleaning the sump is a much bigger pain.;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: