Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Deanos said:
Can you be more specific? Genus and species :)

Sure- a Toadstool Leather and a Shroom. The shroom was almost killing the leather for a while- but one day the leather bounced back and they were in constant contact w/ no visible distress!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Here's a couple of pix, taken today, just for future comparisson.

Cap and digitata are approx. 2" apart as of May 3, 2006

Front and side shots

Attachments

• front view cap & digitata May 3, 2006.jpg
    front view cap & digitata May 3, 2006.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 63
  • side view cap & digitata May 3, 2006.jpg
    side view cap & digitata May 3, 2006.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 63

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
jhale said:
I've had pocilipora weeds damage some of my acro's :screama: :mad:

Very good to know. How close were they? Did they have to touch? Or, just be in close proximity? I've got only one Pocillopora and it's on my frag rack rather close to lots of other SPS and acros in particular. I haven't seen any 'warfare' going on. But I am aware of how close it gets to its neighbors.

Here's a pic of the proximity of them. Notice in the back of the cap.

Good input Jon, thanks.

swimmer

Attachments

• Montipora compatability May 3, 2006.jpg
    Montipora compatability May 3, 2006.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
they had to touch, you'll know when they are too close when your acro's start yelling, hey he's touching me!! make him stop!!

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Wow, this went fast - note I posted on Deanos link that Monti cap would win in most circumstances.

Here is my experience (montiman)

When a digitata is growing up underneath a capricornus the digitata will sting the underside of the cap and bleach that area -

If a cap is growing towards a digi and starts to grow around it, they should be OK, but I have noticed that some tissue recession happens to the digitata.

I actually tried both of these in my 92g corner with the white polyp orange cap and my ORA orange polyp digi. eventually the cap won.

I also think there are other factors that govern "who wins" (none of which is empirical)- coral size and genus within species - not sure colors have anything to do with it . . . hmmm :scratch:

House

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
House, great info. As you can see from the pix, they are side by side. So the cap is growing towards the digitata, but parts of the dig. are growing from below the cap. I'll post updates to pix as they begin to encroach.

Thanks for the detail house.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: