duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
So like a year ago all people were talking about was LED lighting but seems like that topic has vanished. LEDs have been out for sometime now . So for the LED guys whats your verdict on LED lights. Not talking to the guys who never used them before "Jerl" . I for one have the Acans and as for growth i am seeing good growth on my corals and im thinking more then the T5s but my colors are not as WOW as the T5s. I want to hear from the guys that had t5s MHs or VHO who switched to LEDs and the brand they are using. What di you think so far and are you sticking with them or thinking of switching back?

PHILYD1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I too have ran ACAN and i got rid of them and went back to t5 MH combo, i put leds on my tank and started off good but after about 6-8 months they made turn for worst, started losing color and bleaching out everything in my tank even purple on rock, when i took the LEDS off and put t5 back on within a week started getting my color back, so Maybe it was me but i think LEDS still have a way to go before they can replace MH t5 lights

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks for starting this thread James!! I have yet to make up my mind as to which way to go! I'm probably going to just get new ballasts for my fixture, and stay with my MH, but will be looking to switch out the PC for either T5 or VHO.;)
I am not liking what I have been reading about the leds lately.:( Would have loved to switch to them, but not at the risk of loosing everything.;)

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I had 2 18" acan 104ac lights over my tank for a short time....in that time the corals did not show the colors nearly as well as T-5's. I think led's should only be used for flashlights, and lights for power indicators. lol
+1000 I noticed a lot of stuff bleached under led especially the sps I had it did not last long. I have been saying it forever LED technology for fish tanks is way too new to be reliable maybe 5-10 years down the road they will get it right and work better but as of now I'm sticking with my T5's as well. I'm running a 6 bulb nova pro and I couldn't be happier.

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have acans (104)
a couple things that I've noticed,
the fixtures funtion better higher up, I have mine 15" from water line.
I also added 1 reefbrite 48" strip all blue it adds a great color to the light especially when acan whites are up to 70% and above.
I have a mixed reef 120g 48x 24x24.
My fixture ramp up to 80% white 100% blue for four hours a day with the reefbrite on it takes just the right amount of white out of the tank.
Just my opinion

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Well I just recieved my pacific sun Metis Hyperions 4 x 150
only have them a few days now replacing 400 watt metal halide lamps
wish I did this yrs ago my cyno and diatom algae is dying off
tank is a anemone set up with some softies
tank never looked so good

Archreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 72.7%
8   3   0
I was running 2 of the Apollo Reef LED's and switched back to MH/VHO. The frowth was great under the LED, but the colors would only pop under the blues. Never been happier going back to MH.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
scoots i have a batman that has encrusted around 6 in round and has not branched yet .still a small frag surrounded by encrustation.I also have a orange digi that has done the same sort of thing but small branches peering out

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
as i said i cannot give anymore information then what i have read and will be showing pics of my tank when the time comes. hopefully its better then my expectations. but there are many corals that like a good base before they rise up and out.

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Just to let you know buddy I used LEDs for about 3 months and hated every min of them lmfao so before you post my name in your thread you should do a little background check lmfao.
Oh t5 for life lmfao
I will find some pics of the LEDs for you buddy

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
And let's get some thing out I think LEDs are fine for mushrooms and Lps but for sps now way
Prove me wrong post some pics boys but don't get mad when I tell you what I think lmfao

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
So like a year ago all people were talking about was LED lighting but seems like that topic has vanished. LEDs have been out for sometime now . So for the LED guys whats your verdict on LED lights. Not talking to the guys who never used them before "Jerl" . I for one have the Acans and as for growth i am seeing good growth on my corals and im thinking more then the T5s but my colors are not as WOW as the T5s. I want to hear from the guys that had t5s MHs or VHO who switched to LEDs and the brand they are using. What di you think so far and are you sticking with them or thinking of switching back?

Throw them out I give you a nice t5 bulb combo buddy

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I got sps from you remember ? You should see what it looks like now lmfao if you need help with a bulb combo let me know :shhh:
I told you to come over and check out my tank but you refuse to drive a half an hour to me to prove you wrong lmao. Anytime you want to come by and post your finding on my led your welcome to. :)

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I have seen 4 or 5 full sps tanks using them same lights as you I am not inpressed at all I think of mushrooms and lps and zoos LEDs are great but no way in h$ll made for sps

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: