fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I have a 55 gallon tank with a Tunze 6000 & Single controller. I'm trying to get some non laminar flow and I'm having a tough time of it. I tried aquascaping with much more open water on the left side and big open caves and piles on the right. (It gradually slopes over) Being that I only have 1 Tunze the area underneath the pump gets very little flow and the opposite side of the tank gets super high flow. All of the detritus accumulates under the pump where the least amount of flow is. That being the case I placed the Tunze in the top left corner of the tank, near the back but on the left side glass, pointed to the opposite corner. This seems better but;
1. My surface agitation sucks
2. Still have laminar flow
3. Limits placement of my SPS (or does it) is it ok to have an Acropora in the Tunze's blast line? The polyp extension sucks when in an area of "too high" flow.

I'm thinking of picking up the smallest Seio pump to aim opposite of the Tunze to create some random turbulent flow which should also help keep the detritus off the bottom. (I run the tank BB)

Any input? Right now the Tunze cycles from 10% - 30% every 15 seconds.

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I just bought the Tunze! Perhaps next tank I'll get a vortech, meantime a Seio seems like a cheaper way to get surface agitation. I had it on 100 / 30 but I'm going to blow the polyps off my Acros. I think I'm going to move the pump to the back glass, pointed at the front glass. Then it should dispurse enough to set it to 100 / 30 without having to move my Acros out of the blast zone. I guess I'll hold off on the Seio.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I don't think any of the SEIO's except MAYBE the 1500 & 2600 would do any good anyway. Their flow is very dispersed and wouldn't compete with your Tunze. JMO

swimmer

Last edited:

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I put it on the back wall set to 100 /30 and it's MUCH better. Not much polyp movement though, plus Tunzes sure take up a lot of space. It seems like anywhere but on the back wall turns my tank into a giant whirlpool. :(

mshur

Rating - 99.3%
294   2   1
fred,
change ur settings to 70/30. and see how corals will react in a couple of days..let them adjust this flow first,then u can increase it slowly.
have patients with sps:))))

mike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: