Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
OK- after the mantis in my tank knocked over my brain coral from a hole he hides in underneath it (causing the brain to fall on a zoo colony for a day - both brain and zoos are suffering...) I am on a missing.

He must be destroyed.

I just spent 45 mins w/ my hand in my tank and an extra long pair of needle nose pliers- i had him cornered a few times, and I got him mad enough to start attacking them- I swear I had him twice, but he slipped out..:banghead: I am sooo mad at him right now- but I think I have his honeycomb maze figured out... its only a matter of time...

I will keep an update as to how this battle goes.

Anyone here have any luck getting a Mantis out of an established tank? I've read so many articles on them, but I want 1st hand stories...

Anything I can put in a 16g that would hunt him down???

I am scared to put my hand in the tank- I'm always worried he will attack! :theyareon

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
One liter soda bottle. Cut off the top, invert the top back into the bottle (so it acts as a funnel). Secure the 'funnel' onto the bottle. Fill it with tank water. Place a couple of small pieces of table shrimp into the bottle. Lay the bottle down on the bottom of the tank. Wait a minute. Watch shrimp enter bottle. Take bottle out. Call Alvin and give Mantis to him. :lol2:

Here's pix of me catching my shrimp. Granted they were only peppermint shrimp, but the trap works the same way for a mantis.

Notice the funneled top inverted in the bottle:

trapset-pepexploring.jpg

It works on the wrong livestock too:

wrongprey.jpg

30 seconds after I put the trap in:

gettingcloser.jpg

45 seconds:

youreminenow.jpg

Whallah! Caught and banished to my fuge for life!

swimmer

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Sounds like a story I had
I caught all 3 of my peppermint shrimps and banished them to the fuge for life because they were picking at my LPS for some reason to the point of near death. The LPS has since recovered but I can't say the same for the shrimps. They just.. dissapeared. It might be because I never feed the fuge.. but I'm just guessing. Its a 15 gallon fuge too. :Thinking:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Ming, exactly the same fate for my little executioners. They killed 3 out of 7 heads on my new Blasto. Pi$$ed me off big time. I built the trap and had them out of there toot sweet.

I've since come to the conclusion that peppermint shrimp are opportunistic feeders and are NOT reef safe, IMO.

swimmer

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My peppermint I got from someone on this site ate my aiptasia! But I never see him. He did it at night.

Anyway, with that bottle method be careful and try not to lose too many snails. I used it a few nights when I thought I had a mantis and quite a few snails crawled in and died because there's no water circulation inside. :headache:

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Dmitry said:
Anyway, with that bottle method be careful and try not to lose too many snails. I used it a few nights when I thought I had a mantis and quite a few snails crawled in and died because there's no water circulation inside. :headache:

Poke holes to the bottle should create just enough circulation for the snails I assume.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've done the bottle thing for a week at a time to no avail... all I catch in my hermits and snails :(

He's just too smart to be trapped like that... but I guess I'll try again, I think he hit my firefish the other night- the poor guys got a small scar on his back!!!

Its funny- the mantis wasn't even a problem until a few weeks ago. I've noticed him becomming much more aggresive and doesn't hide as much any more- which might be good for my odds of catching him. He's about and inch and a half long now...

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You have no idea how scared I am about putting my tank in to move a frag... I am worred he will attack! He does attack the tweezers I'm trying to use - I will get him :Starwars:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: