thepudge

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi, I have a 50 gallon bowfront and am currently running a couple of maxi-jet powerheads for flow. I would like to upgrade to a tunze stream but am concerned that there will be way too much flow in the tank. Could I get away with it?

Thanks,

Alex

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Or you can get a Tunze 6000 and run it on a controller. The controller lets you adjust the speed between 30 and 100%. You cas set different paces to create the desired motion in your tank.

Without a controller however use what Tony above is using.

If a wide flow patern is what you desire you can use Seio Pumps. They are much cheaper and create a simmilar type of flow. Just not as strong. And you save a lot. There are quite a few advocates of Seios on this site.

The other option is to buy the maxijet modifications to get awesome flow. Cost for the kit is about 50 bucks. Cheapest but very good option.

HTH,
Herman

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yup the stream 6000 on a singlecontroller. Works very well in the 37g. Dave (Spykes) uses the same and its working out very well for him.

As far as heat goes - the addition is insignificant.

Tunze and Vortech - torn you say? Well arent we all. :D

thepudge

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have a few SPS, a couple of frogspawns, a lobo, a RBTA, a big deresa and some misc softies.. The maxijets seem to blow everything around a lot, and the tunze pumps 10X more water than the maxis.. is it because the tunze flow is more dispersed that it doesnt blow things around as much?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
it all depends... even though the flow is dispersed u might have a problem with sand blowing all over the place so you can just cut the flow back a little until ur happy with the controller... also with that controller you can imitate diff. types of flows, night, day, pulsing and others...

just my opinion in ur tank i wouldnt be to worried about that...

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The wave box is awesome, but too much for your tank. The Tunze controllers dont work on anything other than Tunze.

As far as Vortech, the battery backup and controller is coming out shortly. I would not say that the Vortech has too many bugs. Its doing quite well for a newly launched product btw. Just minor problems here and there. Tunze had bugs also when they first came out.

The way I see it. They are both excellent products!! Just application and taste.

Falco

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thepudge said:
Is the tunze wavebox any good?

On that small of a tank I think you are asking for trouble with a wavebox as It is really big and very strong.

I would suggest the 6000 w/controller, you can use the pulse action and also set the pump to whatever % you want so if its to strong you can tone it down.

Also, if you have sand then the Tunze will most likely kick it up until you find the right settings.

-Chris

thepudge

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yeah, that is my concern. I am not really looking for a ton of flow, but the maxijets leave too many dead areas.. would the weakest seio blow everything around? (assuming I don't have the $ to spring for the tunze w/controller.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I have a 55 gallon and I used to have several MJ and an eheim Closed Loop. I just upgraded to the Tunze 6000 with controller from Reef Exotics (MR Sponsor.) The total was about $315.

The 6000 comes with a control box whereby you can raise or lower the flow with a screwdriver (much the same as the vortech). The Tunze control module is a sort of "wave maker" it allows you to set 2 different flow levels and then an amount of time before switching between the two.
IE: 15 seconds at 10% then 15 seconds at 60%

I find that it works very well. My temperature has dropped about 6 degrees since installing the tunze. Yes 6 degrees. The only drawback is that the Tunze is large. I run it at 30% then 80% at about 10 second intervals. All my corals like it. I hacve mostly sps but a few zoas and a hitchhiking mushroom or two. They don't mind the flow either once they got used to it. My candy canes are also fine. The bottom line is that you can set the flow where every you want. Yes it could be too much flow for your corals, but don't set it that high. I think that it's a good investment. If you ever upgrade you can keep it.

For the price of a new vortech I bought a Tunze 6000, magnet holder, single controller and the light sensor.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: