ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
i think the skimmer just has to break in and also the system is new so give it a few weeks if anything ;)

yeah im going to let it sit and see how it goes. its just the collection cup has to sit soo high. actually right now, where the plastic bolt threads in to hold the cup in place, i have the bolt threaded all the way in, and the collection cup resting on top of it... and its still fills with water to the top in about a few hours.

anyone ever try one of those hydor skimmers yet?

and seeing my tank has been running for about a month and a half... usually everytime i had a new tank, after it cycled, i ran into a mini spike of some algae or some annoying issue... but figured it was ok cause its showing growth in the tank. right now its been cycled for few weeks now and still nothing. not one speck of algae, or cyno, or ditrus, diatom or anything...

Last edited:

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
you're better off going skimmerless. all the skimmers for this size tank does is make noise and waste electricity. go skimmerless and run carbon or phosban. keep up with WC.

the skimmer is completely silent. the whole tank for that matter is scary quite. i love it lol. tank has carbon in it already and other media. the first section is mainly for a skimmer so why not use it since i have it? nothing else can really fit there where the skimmer goes

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
do u have one? did u mod it?

when i ran my solana i ran both the stock and tunze 9002.

I followed a post on the net to mod the original and it worked great. it was around 2 years ago. I remember it involved adding mesh into the stock pump.

I absolutely cant stand the tunze 9002's, I have owned 3 to date and they have all been very temperamental.

My original one was dead silent, but my past two were loud, unreliable, and just sucked for me.

I now run skimmerless [for now], but i do run two reactors, one GFO, one ESV carbon.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
you're better off going skimmerless. all the skimmers for this size tank does is make noise and waste electricity. go skimmerless and run carbon or phosban. keep up with WC.
I disagree. If the skimmer is pulling a 1/2 cup of gunk a week out of 34 gallons. It is doing alot more than not having a skimmer at all.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: