ReefCorner

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My healthy crop of pulsing zenia turned white after a water change on Sunday nite.
I am not sure what I did wrong, but the zenia are totally white in color and lifeless.

Suggestion on saving them from total lost.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
1st off how big was the water change.... did everything match up from ur tank water to ur new water.. salinity, temperature, did you change salts..how big is your tank.. . just a few questions to get this thread going and figure out what happened...

ReefCorner

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change was 25%. Temp did not match up. Tank Temp 78. New water: 75. Salinity not too sure.(Maybe okay) Chem-Clean treatment 3 days prior to water change.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The variance in temp is too slight, wouldn't make a difference. The SG is very important. At 25% it could change parameters enough to stress coral. All depends on what the actual SG of your new water was. If it was close, like only .001 - .003 difference, I'd say no big deal. But if you were talking about a difference of >.005 then you might have some concerns. However, I still wouldn't think it would be enough to kill a coral. Stress it, yes, but recoverable.

Now if you forgot to add salt to your makeup water, and accidentally removed 25% SW and added back 25% FW, IMO that could do some damage.

I've never used Chemi-Clean, so I don't know what that would do.

swimmer

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
What is chem clean? Don't use that. Your water changes and skimmer alone should handle filtration.

One other thing to check (aside from the suggestions above) is iodine/iodide. Xenia are very dependent on iodide and a major change in levels will hurt them. Note I am not recommending dosing iodide, your water changes should be enough, but you may want to pick up a test kit to check your levels once or twice to make sure they aren't totally out of whack.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
marrone said:
Chemi-Clean is used to get rid of Cyano. It works pretty work and doens't harm anything else in the tank.

That if you dont over dose your tank with it :usa1:

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
:smash:
ReefCorner said:
Salinity not too sure.
(Maybe okay) Chem-Clean treatment 3 days prior to water change.

ok what do u mean ur not to sure of the salinity of the new water..:letitallo
temp. was ok.... 2 degree difference really aint that big of a deal...

and how exactly did u do this chem-clean treatment.... very curious hopefully it stayed in a bag and u rinsed it before putting it in the tank..

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Tonyscoots84 said:

ok what do u mean ur not to sure of the salinity of the new water..:letitallo
temp. was ok.... 2 degree difference really aint that big of a deal...

and how exactly did u do this chem-clean treatment.... very curious hopefully it stayed in a bag and u rinsed it before putting it in the tank..

thats chem pure ,like carbon

chem clean is the white power ,that gos in yout tank :smash:

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sean said:
reef corner
check alk. , SG and iodine

I don't know about this chemi clean never used it either.
Ive used it a while back ago ,when i listened to some LFS in my area ,well anyway ,I did the treatment as soon as the chem clean got into the tank ,all my lps mushrooms closed right up ,and did the doseage the recommended to use ,1st and last time i did that :lol_large

More water changes ,better skimmer ,less phos ,good flow oh yeah RO?di water .best remedy

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
chemiclean works well. it does its job with no harm at all. in my own experience.just like ultra slime remover

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: