nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Does anyone use/know of a water detector that will shut off a pump if it senses water? I'm looking to use this together with my ATO, so just in case it decides to stop working one day, I'll have that water detector to shut the whole thing down once it starts overflowing.

I did some research and came across a few, but want to see what you guys are using/.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
nice post kris - im very interested as well.

i know people have mentioned ones that you put on the top of the tank like a small sensor but need to drill a hole or use some sort of acrylic for mounting

my tank is a ticking timebomb if you ask me [the drain on cube to the waterfall scares me.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
ill post back, i really need to set this or something similar up. i had one flood months ago and not going to go through another. i remember coming home at 2 am and my socks got soaked 1 floor BELOW my tank. i was like *#$@

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Steve got back to me, The sensor is 3/16 stainless, works from conductivity.

small voltage on tip. when it grounds from water it shuts down. Rated for saltwater.

Lifetime warranty

Kris im going to msg you about group buys.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Well if we started a group buy and 8 people buy it, it drops to 51$ per

For a sump application obviously other things like float valves and stuff could be manipulated to work.

But for my situation this to me sounds perfect and ideal..if money isn't a problem it's a nice piece of equipment.

Show me how this could successfully be made for 4.95$ DIY.

This could easily be mounted on my DT tank and prevent a flood if my bulkhead becomes compromised

Last edited:

reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
Go on eBay and get one float switch, one guy from NJ selling them $4.50 free shipping, two little pieces of acrylic (to glue angle) one hole, short extension cord (probably you have one somewhere in your basement or garage) and that's all.

reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
Sure :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336519979.333808.jpg

Cut one wire (hot) in extension cord and install this float switch as a loop (I'll post some diagram if you like) be careful (110v 60 hz) if you're not sure how to do it I'll provide all informations.
Use commercial double tape to install that acrylic in your overflow and you are protected ;)

reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
could you not have just done a dual float switch... ato?
I'm going to set up my RKL to handle ATO and wire up two float switches... thats all.

I'm using my Apex to protect everything including protein skimmer, but nanoteefer didn't say that he have controller so for ATO or flood protect is IMO easiest and cheapest way to build that cord with switch.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: