Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
In the midst of the pre-swap, frag ogling frenzy, it often gets over-looked that the Swap is an opportunity to do much more than trade and buy corals. We make every effort to make your experience an educational one by presenting demos or workshops throughout the day. We also bring in world class speakers to help you hone your reef keeping skills.

This year is no exception as we are very pleased to bring you two wonderful talks, by two leaders in the hobby.

Whether you have an established reef or are just beginning on this aquatic adventure, the subject of nutrient control is paramount among all the concerns that confront success in this hobby.

Joe Yaiullo's talk focuses on this critical and complex aspect of reefing from a perspective few can provide-- as the creator and lead aquarist for one of the largest, and arguably the nicest captive reef in the world.

... and you think you have problems!

Nutrient control in a 20,000 gallon reef and why this matters to you

Joe is the Curator of the Long Island Aquarium & Exhibition Center. Born and raised on Long Island, Joe graduated from Southampton College with a BS in
Marine Biology. After working at the New York Aquarium for 8 years (1987-1995), Joe left to pursue a dream of building an aquarium on Long Island. He was instrumental in designing, developing and building the Long Island Aquarium & Exhibition Center, in Riverhead, N.Y. which opened in June 2000. The Long Island Aquarium & Exhibition Center ?s exhibits include a 2,000 gallon clownfish/anemone tank, 120,000 gallon Shark Tank and, the focus of this talk---a 20,000 gallon Live Coral Tank.

Now that you have some advanced insight into how best to maintain those wonderful frags and animals you are running around acquiring, you need to refine the next step--- photographing all this stuff, so you can maximize the "wow" factor and amaze your friends and family on Face Book! I think it is safe to say that the hobby would not be what it is today without the aid of digital photography and most hobbyists end up adopting a second hobby--photography-- shortly after entering into the world of reefing.

Our second speaker, Gary Parr is quite simply one of the finest aquarium photographers around. His talk, How'd you shoot that? has helped thousands of hobbyist across the country refine their photographic skills.

How?d You Shoot That?

Your reef is thriving, the colors are beautiful, and you want some photos to share the fruits of your labor with friends and family. You break out the camera, fire off a few shots, and end up with blue, blurred, and distorted photos, half of which are ruined when the light from your flash unit reflected off of the aquarium glass. Frustration sets in and you ask the inevitable question: How do I get decent shots of my reef?

"How?d You Shoot That?" will show you what equipment you need and don't need, how to get the proper exposure, and what makes for good photo composition. You'll also learn how to photograph fish, get quality full-tank shots, and shoot corals, all of the way down to the feeding tentacles.

Gary Parr is a self-taught advanced-amateur photographer who "specializes" in close-up/macro photography of corals, flowers, and insects. To see some of his photography, browse the galleries at www.gparr.com. Gary has been keeping reef aquariums for more than 10 years and co-hosts, with Christine Williams, the weekly Reef Threads podcast at www.reefthreads.com.

I urge you all to take advantage of both these fantastic talks. Both Joe and Gary will be around all day, so please don't hesitate to approach them and say hello. I know they'd love to talk to you.

I know I can't wait!

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
The presentations by these world renowned speakers are really some of the most informative parts of the swap, I really hope a lot of people take advantage of what they bring to the table and listen to their presentations. The eye candy at the swap is amazing this year but the swap is much more than just shopping and you can easily do both with tons of time to spare.

James

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I was there mingling around.. did the speakers ever speak!? :) I think I heard an announcement but then nothing!? Maybe I just missed it.

You must me new to this-it happens in another room and generally you have to pay attention to the announcements. I think it's due to the dynamics of things going on during the show-fixed schedule is not usually an option. It's generally a gross time frame, morning session or afternoon session, then an announcement will say now is the time to go where for the seminar.

First time when I was in the Pace swap, I did not noticed the seminar thing either. The pace "speakers", I mean the audio speakers, really is muffy. I can only hear half of what Josh said that day too and people around my booth keep on thinking Kathy was calling me, "Wingo", during the announcing of prizes when Kathy is actuall is saying "Bingo".

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: