44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
i came home from my 12hr shift and my DD 6 inch Maxima is DEAD. I was ignorant to the death in this hobby when i decided to start this reef tank. I did't begin this hobby to kill animals and it seems that's what i do. I've killed a blue spotted jawfish, copperband butterfly, a 19" red carpet (that was probably in the ocean for over 150 years), 2, 6+ inch clams, and countless corals. To me this is unacceptable. I take every loss personally as a failure and i HATE when i have to pull a dead/dieing animal out of my tank. So...i refuse to replace anymore fish, corals, inverts etc. My tank is still stocked so either my animals will grow and thrive or die off one by one until nothing is left. I don't care if i just wind up with my two clowns and 120 lbs of live rock to watch...rant over :anger2:

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
what a joke...

Attachments

• DSC01438.JPG
    DSC01438.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 262

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Focus on what you can keep and slowly branch out from there. If its clownfish and yellow polyps to start and slowly add stuff as you gain confidence.
I'm actually glad to see you take it personally. That means you feel a lot of responsibility for the livestock you have.
There is nothing worse than someone who has no concern over the stuff they have in their tanks.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
sorry to hear about this, but unfortunely it's part of the hobby... most of these animals come from parts of the world where they live in prestine water conditions and we as aquarists try to duplicate nature and some animals no matter what we do to prevent it they are just destined to die...but seeing that you actually care about the animals is the key to success...

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. It is part of the hobby, but another part of the hobby is learning to make sound choices for your system and level of expertise. The animals you named -- blue spot jawfish, Copperbands, carpets, maxima clams are all known to present challenges and are not good choices for most people and far more fail with them than succeed.
The good news is there are lots and lots of beautiful and easily kept animals to cut your teeth on.

Aquadicted

Bill Goody Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
Hey dude. I have definitely been depressed over how many animals I've killed. I feel exactly the same way. A FAILURE when anything dies, cause lets be honest. They die because we didn't prevent it. These animals are taken out and put into our hands (after many hurtles!!) and it our job to try our hardest.

Please don't be turned off to fish keeping. We need more people like you who care about their animals instead of just looking at their monetary value.

The way I look at it is these guys are ambassadors who are here to introduce us and others to the wonders of themselves. Everything is dying in the wild and at this rate everything will be wiped out, everything polluted etc. I believe the aquarium industry will be a strong crutch for these animals to lean on and may be the only way of survival.

That's why it's time for you to go back to work sir!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: