duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Im installing a ATO but i can not find a container short enough so i can hide it under my calcium reactor shelf so i went to kmart and they have something perfect but im not sure if its an acceptable plastic to use. its a hefty container with the number 5 underneath which i looked up and its used for straws and bottle caps because of its strength. will this be alright to use for a ATO container?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
http://thegoodhuman.com/2009/02/01/earthtalk-is-5-plastic-safe/

According to this you cannot go by the numbers to know if a plastic is 'safe', they are for recycling purposes only.

This is one of the sentences from the attached link:
According to Consumers Union?s ?Greener Choices?? website, all three of these plastics are considered safe for their original use, though any of them can leak toxins when reused repeatedly.

So I guess the answer is no.

What are the dimensions of the space you have available?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Brute cans are known (and designed) to be 'food safe'. I don't know that you can simply tell by a label/marking.

Google 'food safe containers' ..about a zillion things popped up..try that.

Also - just thought of this...what about one of those containers they sell to store pet foods, they must be food safe and they are often long, skinny & tall. Yoiu can always cut down the height if you have to :)

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i just did some checking on plastic containers around the house. all my tubberware are marked numder 5 and our salt buckets which i know alot of us including myself use to store water is also a 5. it tells us what type of recycling it is yes but it also tells us what the plastic is made out of. the scarey thing is i checked a arizona ice tea 1 gallon jug and its marked 7 which is not supposed to be used in food containers. its toxic WTF

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Polypropylene is what is normally used although I'm not sure how easily you'll find something in that exact dimension. I'll PM you a place to check out on the island for something like that but they might have to order it in for you.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: