Status
Not open for further replies.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I went into a Petco today and was so sad to see a beautiful power blue tang and hippo tang and Gramma with ick all over them. Any fish in Petco store is pretty much in death tank. They are a few Petco that might know what they are doing. Chain store that doesn't care about a fish except a dollar. Well, you think they would remove them from public view. Their system set up is a big disgrace. This place shouldn't be allow to sell saltwater fish period. Should be some kind of law for this.

stbarnabas

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
i think its the person who works in the place ... some people dont care they just work there and thats it .... company itself they tried thier best to deal with it but again the worker .

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
It's more than that, some Petcos are just chains and to even replace a ligh bulb, they first need to have the stores manager go to the district manager, then to the regional manager and so on. Until they get the approval. Then there are the franchise Petcos that can make inhouse decisions and only need to met certain criteria to be a Petco. They get to choose the fish they bring in, corals and lighting. If you notice most of the Petcos with grooming will have corals. Although out of the 5 franchises near me only 2 are above average on par or better than the Lfs.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Petco should be ban selling saltwater fish!
This place shouldn't be allow to sell saltwater fish period. Should be some kind of law for this.
as stated, it is more an individual store/management/ employee problem than 'corporate wide' ...

If there was a law, it would probably ban many, many more hobbiests, (that don't have a clue) than retail stores!

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
It's more than that, some Petcos are just chains and to even replace a ligh bulb, they first need to have the stores manager go to the district manager, then to the regional manager and so on. Until they get the approval. Then there are the franchise Petcos that can make inhouse decisions and only need to met certain criteria to be a Petco. They get to choose the fish they bring in, corals and lighting. If you notice most of the Petcos with grooming will have corals. Although out of the 5 franchises near me only 2 are above average on par or better than the Lfs.

Not true. All PETCO's are owned and operated by one corporation and there are no independent chain stores. The general manager can approve any maintance to be done in the store including changing of light bulbs. Now if you wanted to change a t8 bulb to t5 or MH then yes you would need dm approval. Like others said it depends on the store and the gm but not all PETCO's are created equal, if conditions are as bad as you say they are you need to contact corporate because they may not be aware of the problem.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Not true. All PETCO's are owned and operated by one corporation and there are no independent chain stores. The general manager can approve any maintance to be done in the store including changing of light bulbs. Now if you wanted to change a t8 bulb to t5 or MH then yes you would need dm approval. Like others said it depends on the store and the gm but not all PETCO's are created equal, if conditions are as bad as you say they are you need to contact corporate because they may not be aware of the problem.

Well accordingly to every manager I have spoken to they have franchises, so I would go with what 15 managers have said.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What about they tanks. They have 15 gallon tanks in half. If they were moving fish fast ok. Why not put them in a jar. It's a disgrace all petcos are setup the same. They can't put copper in they system. So how can you get healthy fish week after week without getting disease. TERRIBLE.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
What about they tanks. They have 15 gallon tanks in half. If they were moving fish fast ok. Why not put them in a jar. It's a disgrace all petcos are setup the same. They can't put copper in they system. So how can you get healthy fish week after week without getting disease. TERRIBLE.

I can't speak for all of the PETCO's but at my store we never order fish that can't safely be housed in our display tanks. We also have a hospital tank where we can isolate and treat sick fish. Petco is not the only company or lfs that is guilty of keeping large fish in small tanks or not properly treating sick fish so to make a statement that all PETCO's shouldn't be allowed to sell fish is just wrong. I'm not defending the store you visited but I do encourage you to contact Petco customer service and tell them about your experience with the store in question and I assure you they will follow through with your complaint because the company truly cares about animals and they can't fix what they don't know about. @saltwaterbrioklyn I really didn't want the whole mr to know where I work but I couldn't read his post without rasing the bs flag.

Rating - 100%
227   0   0
i heard they fired a DM for throwing out half-dead goldfishes. PETCO has a strange policy on livestock. they would "spend" $100 (time, effort, meds) to save a $1 animal. they bag & account for all deaths...down to the guppy. an eco-friendly vet wrote the company policy and strangely, they are not allowed to use any meds whatsoever.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Make your voice heard. If it was cats and dogs it would be all over the news. You can make your plea to the manager of that particalar store. I doubt one call will make a difference though. Some Petco don't even bother with saltwater. They need knowladgeable people to be in charge of the salterwater dep. There are another things that contribute to this cruelty. Any fish that dies in a certain time is replacement or refounded. So they don't really care, a win win situation for them. I've seen new fish placed with sick fish week after week. Parasites and diseaes i've never seen in my life at Petco.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: