Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So here's my dilemma.....
I've always used chemipure in my 120 sps/Lps Reeftank till about 5 months ago when someone I respect in the hobby told me its not necessary and could be harmful. Since I've stopped using carbon I've noticed better growth of my corals in general but I've also noticed my water is not nearly as clear. Is there any other way to polish the water without carbon? ( i do have a uv sterilizer running ) are my observations correct ?
Thx

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Bruce, is it possible that your perceived increase in growth without carbon could be anecdotal as opposed to scientific? Possibly seasonal growth variations?

I'm a believer in running carbon 24/7, but I'm also a believer in lots of ways to have success in this hobby. No one way works for everyone.

Russ

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I'm curious what the possible negatives are? The vast majority of reef-keepers--advanced or otherwise run carbon religiously 24/7. Chemi-pure is not necessary as any good quality carbon will do, but I find it hard to believe growth has been affected in a positive way by stopping the use of carbon, but would find it very plausible if things started looking worse due to allelopathy ( animals releasing toxins as warfare)-- not saying this will def. happen either, just that it is the more likely of the 2 scenarios IMO.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
There was actually a study made recently regarding carbon and HLLE (Head and Lateral Line Erosion Syndrome).

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/activated-carbon-hlle-smoking-gun-found

But their results need to be taken with a grain of salt: they are using unwashed, "poor quality" carbon, aka one that is most likely to dump a ton of small particles (aka black dust) in the water.

For those who are scared about that (I am paranoid about both this and iron-based products after reading that they might "help" the agents responsible for pinched mantle disease in giant clams), I have found that Purigen can replace carbon without a problem: removes the smell, and "color".

Of course when it comes to scientific facts, there is nothing in the literature that has shown much in the matter of "dangers".

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm curious what the possible negatives are? The vast majority of reef-keepers--advanced or otherwise run carbon religiously 24/7. Chemi-pure is not necessary as any good quality carbon will do, but I find it hard to believe growth has been affected in a positive way by stopping the use of carbon, but would find it very plausible if things started looking worse due to allelopathy ( animals releasing toxins as warfare)-- not saying this will def. happen either, just that it is the more likely of the 2 scenarios IMO.

It's amazing since I put the carbon in the sump the tank is noticeably clearer! The nuisance algae is also better!
Thx

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Running a quality carbon (ESV) in a reactor is the only way it is worth the money spent. This is considered running it actively. Running it passively in a mesh bag is not worth your time, effort or money. The principal of fluid dynamics dictates that water will take the path of least resistance, hence it will flow around the mesh bag as opposed to through it. The most efficient way to run carbon is through a reactor.

Russ

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Actually regarding reactors I have read once that they are not that big of an improvement over a media bag, simply because it is not a mechanical filtration, but a chemical one, aka the carbon "attracts" the crap it is supposed to remove.

I have always used this kind of media in a bag and have had very good results like that. Aka crystal clear water and no smell.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I use carbon 24/7 have not seen any negatives yet. In my mixed reef it's almost necessary because of a few leather corals I have.
I wouldn't recommend kent carbon after there little episode last year. It didn't affect me but it did a friend. Since then he has retired to saltwater after kent carbon killed his corals
Thanks guys
I added a little better than a quarter cup of kent reef carbon (followed directions).
Thx
Again

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I have started running carbon on my system 24/7 over the last few mos. Im in the process of making a reactor to run. For now I have just placed a mesh bag in 1 of my filter socks. I started with a 1/2 cup and have slowly increased to 2 cups. I have noticed increased clarity in the water, all of my livestock looks much happier, and I have seen an increase in growth in my corals (LPS dominant tank). A few more fittings and a reloadable cartridge from BRS and my reactor will be done. Yaaaay!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: