SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Im sorry for all these questions I have a outer orbit 2-150mh and 4 39 t5
First question is I know its alot of light for a 40breeder but holy S@#T are these things bright.I dont have a par meter or anything I have the fixture about a 10- 12 inches off the tank IS that still too much light?
Second question the fixture was bought used so after the tank cycles before I add coral I want to change the bulbs I gonna go with 14k mh the t5 that are in there are 2 blue and 2 pink.. I like the brightness from the 10k mh thats there now but want a slight more blue tint should I get 14k and all 4 blues or 10k 4blues or 14k 2blue 2 pink? I seen some mh fixtures before but i am supprised how bright this thing is the whole room light up.http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag146/SteveZ15/mhpower_zpsedec060b.jpg
Here is a pic of fixture and height.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The height is fine, but do ask us about coral placement when you are ready to start adding those. You might incinerate some if you put them up higher on the aquascaping.

It is usually not suggested to keep your lighting on while cycling a tank..it tends to promote algae growth (not that you wont have some, but you don't want to encourage excess algae either!)

As far as the bulbs..many people would keep all of the T5's as actinics. The pinks you describe - are they fiji purple bulbs? (see any name on them?) Those are fine too, but if you are loving the whole blue light thing and want to drool a little more at your tank when just the T5's are on...go with all actinics..lol

We could fill 12 threads with a discussion about the colors temps & brands of MH bulbs..escpecially back in the day when most folks used them.
Basically...
10K usually gives you the fastest growth but the color tends to be more yellow..and your 4 actinics will not make that yellow go away enough if you want a blue tint..it will stay yellowish.
12K a tiny bit more blub but not much
14K is what a lot of folks like as you get growth and the pop
20K is so soooo blue and growth is so so.

DO remember that when you purchase new MH bulbs they have a 'burn-in' period of about 100 hours before you will see the actual color they will be in the long run.

You might use our search function and look for discussion threads on MH bulbs..there are many on here and many of them have pics showing what the different brands and temps look like :)
Also feel free to post when you are ready and you will get all kinds of suggestions!

I do have 2 questions for you..do you plan to add more rock and do you know yet what type of corals you want to keep?

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I ran the lights today for 5hrs to see how much the temp went up which was one degree. i dont have the chiller hooked up yet. I ordered manado rock but its sold out so I should get it in a week or so. As for corals I know I want to start with zoa frags . Ill get a fish or two first let the tank get used to the feeding then add frags. Its hard to really say what I want .I was at coral theory and was in awe on how some of their corals looked like in person. I like a few lps like hammer and acans and some of the fleshy type. My ultimate goal is to get to the point to have some monti caps and some of those colorful branchy things i dont know the names.I guess i want to be able to house a little of everything. But i will be very happy to have some easy zoas and a lps or two for the first six months to a year .i know i have a lot of learning and have to experience some of this first hand to really get it. But everyone been so helpfull and gave me good insight on things that been asked a million times but i thing im off to a good start. So thank you and everyone else that helped me. Soon enough ill have some life in that tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: