[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In lieu of a bigger tank for no good reason, I am thinking of improving current setup with a sump/refuge for my 30gal and really getting it to the point of 'proper reef tank'. I would really like to have more corals/clams. Everything has been doing well, but not thriving.

wondering what you all think about the following and if you see any pitfalls, or have suggestions on equipment/methods.

current setup...
-4-6" DSB
-RO/DI water only
-30gal tank,
-25lb tampa bay rock, 8-10lb fiji,
-2 bakpaks (both are getting old and not in great shape after several moves, rios are pretty beat up as well, but working)
-250w MH 20k HQI bulb from hellolights, no other lighting right now. (tank goes from darkness straight to the supernova of the 250w for ~10Hr a day)

Looking to do the following things...
1. setup a sump/refuge.
probably in a 10-20gal that I will have to create/buy. toss the bakpaks for a skimmer that will be capable of sustainig a bigger tank whenever that day comes (like a 90-120) I guess I can throw the shreded plastic / 'biomedia' from the bakpaks into the fuge.. would make a nice bubble/critter barricade in the baffles. I would also need to get a hang-on overflow and nessecary plumbing/pump.

2. create a smoother lighting cycle.
not sure how to go about this, maybe just get some actinic compacts and turn em on an hour before the 250w.

3. learn more about calc reactor, learn more about nutrient supplements, setup some type of auto topoff system to the sump.

wow.. that became a long post.. back to work for me. thanks for any advice you might have.

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup, gettin me all geeked to get my tank in shape now!
excited to see your new setup too.

Anyone know a good local place to pickup acrylic / bonding to construct a sump?

What skimmer/pump combo would you recomend?
looking to order soon...

I have been thinking about the AquaC EV 120
would be overkill for my 30, but will give me room to grow im thinkin.
MarineDepot has it with a magdrive5 at $340
and a CPR overflow... drilling a working tank is probably a bad idea eh?

What about return pumps? ideal GPH?
its about 4 feet up to clear the top of the tank from inside the stand.

THNX!

Wasabi-
teamheavy.tv

jreef

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wouldn't bother with a calc reactor for that samll of a setup, it would be more than jsut overkill. In fact, I'm not sure (unless its a really small reactor) that you'll be able to fine tune it down enough and the setup costs are high vs. other forms of calc additions for that size of a tank. You're better off with an ESV doser or the like.

triggerboy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[JWS]wasabi,

For plastics you can try downtown on Canal Street near the B-Way intersection... there are atleast 2 plastic places I know of down there, you can get pretty much anything you'll need. You might want to also try(http://www.usplastic.com) they have a wide assortment of plastic containers and such along with acrylic sheet stock they can ship to you... I think they are cheaper than downtown, but you'll need to factor the shipping.

Just out of curiosity... any reason you just don't use a 20 gallon tank or something like that? I use a 20 high for a sump on my 55 and it works real well (wish I had gotten something just a bit bigger though). I even glued in a few baffles to keep the water at a perfect height for my euro-reef skimmer... just a thought, they are dirt cheap compared to buying plastic, plus you don't have to do any work, or worry about the seals.

L

lucky reefer

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you definately do not need a calc reactor for coraline algea, you can build your on nielsen reator for 60 bucks all you need is a clear di canister and some plastic fittings and run it inline with your ro/di setup and your tank will explode with coraline algea in 3 months

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: