M

muz_yamosa

Hello,
We are new to all of this and have been researching for some time now and are getting ready to get our first set up and rock and what not. We are going to start a 12gal and are wondering about the live rock, can you get live rock to start with and add bits and pieces later? and does the sand also get cycled as well?

thanx

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Joel and James ,

Welcome to Manhatareefs :)

Hope you enjoy this very friendly forum and feel free to ask as many questions and read as much as you can -

As for the rock and sand, you should cycle them at the same time - adding live rock later in the game can cause the tank to cycle a second time (or as many times as you add the rock). That being said, the general rule is 1 to 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon of water - also, the smaller the ank you have the more difficult it is to keep the tank stable - proper stockin is also a key to a successful small tank.

Hope this helps and again - WELCOME TO MANHATTANREEFS!

Jim

M

muz_yamosa

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Thanx! We have been reading tons and are glad we finally found message boards since there is so much conflicting info out there to read. Another question, should we cycle in the tank or outside in a bucket? is either better or worse or just the same?

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Never heard of cycling in a bucket - you should cycle in the tank and don't put any fish in their until you have your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate within a reasonable range - see test kits for what is reasonable.

One thing you will find with reefkeeping is that there are some staple things you should do with setting up your tank - and then there is things that work for some people and doesn't work for others - one thing you'll find about this hobby, is that you will learn a ton on your own by reading and doing, but you should take a moment to learn from other peoples mistakes as well - I have made my share of them, so that is speaking from personal experience.

IOne thing that I do that I found works (and this is only if you are taking your time to cycle your tank, is to put a piece of raw shrimp in the tank after you are all set up with rock and sand etc. The decaying starts the cycle and does a good job (in my opinion=IMO) in starting it.

Hope this helps.

House

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience young Skywalker....

if you are unsure about how to cure liverock, you need tolurk and read more before jumping into a VERY COSTLY hobby. MISTAKES will comeback to haunt you.

TO cure the live rock, place it in your aquarium.

NO SUBSTRATE (sand) a glass bare bottom.
this will make removal of detritus and mulm easier and reduce the bioload and nitrate factory storage area.

try to keep the Ammonia and nitrite UNDER 2 PPM daily, and remove ( with a 3/4 inch siphon hose) any mulm and dead crap from the bottom of the tank.

yes, it will smell. Yes it will taste awful if you suck too long. Yes you will gag. Yes we WILL laugh at U. Do waterchanges as often as needed.

too high of a spike will be delitiorus to your invert population that is already stressed and hanging on for dear life.

Also, you can cure with the tank lights on. I usualy do a 4 hour photoperiod every 12 hours( it really helps) so PH and algaes have a better chance of maintaining.

THe Reef GOD Montra:

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
good books, reefsearching and looking up stuff before hitting the "post" button...

IGNORANCE IS BLISS
get reduced to a gooey flambe`d sobbing pile of tears by FN'GEEKS*...

*you will regret not reading far more ;)

Welcome to Manhattan reefs.

Should you need any "staples" PM me.

M

muz_yamosa

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well Dave if you weren't so busy being a smart ass, you would know that many people have different methods for cycling live rock. We are asking questions so that we can learn more from people who have experience since reading, which we have done plenty of and are still doing, doesn't answer everything. So in the future if you don't like our questions don't answer them. We don't need your smart remarks.

thanx to everyone else for your help and hospitality in helping us get feedback before we take the plunge.

joel + james

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHAHAHAHAHA HA HAH AHHAHAHAAH

wow !

aren't we a tad touchey !

I recind my offer for reef "staples" as I only deal with :cool: reeferz

nys-gooncrewsigfngeeks.gif

ps: I was being straight up with you, not a smart ass.

and uh... my rep speeks for itself as to my "EXPERIENCE".
asshatt ;)

[ July 10, 2003, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Dave ESPI ]

C

Crakeur2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's the espi we all know and love.

guys, take sir Dave's posts with a grain of salt. he's extremely knowledgeable, a bit rough around the edges and one ugly dude but, like that ugly dog you had growing up, you get kind of attached to the little runt and so you keep it around.

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm, here i was with marshmallows ready and that flame wasn't even spongebob-worthy imo.

gettin' old and slow

muz,
dave was being pretty straight with you. he gave you his advice with twist of sublime imo, that's all.

i have cycled in buckets (am currently cycling a batch now) but the preferred method is in your tank as noted. this batch happens to be for someone else's tank so it's a special case (plus i don't have a spare tank to cycle in). btw don't cycle in an established tank.

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, You still have a mouthfull of Shots comming, so even RAY can't save yer WRASSE at the Bar (soon)

PS: hows that FAILED REEF TANK comming ?

ZING !

ps: Start a new thread this one is dead.

C

Crakeur2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 7 is now sitting on my terrace. The 26 is up and running and has a few things in it. I'm ready for a trip to the candy store.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: