Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have hundreds if not thousands of little waving arms- all belonging to these little micro stars.

They grow everywhere! They are even in my powerheads- they have grown into every little crevice of rock. I never minded before- but they really are starting to look bad! :irked:

A few questions... Why the upswing in population? They just recently became an eyesore. Is there some parameter that starfish love? My purple firefish recently became a victim of mantis-cide, but I never noticed him eating them. I do have less hermits due to the mantis as well- would they eat them?

Other than getting a harlequin shrimp (which I might as soon as I get rid of my mantis... yes laugh it up, I still have it in my tank :shhh: ), any other creature I can add that loves to eat micro stars?

Thanks!

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I wish it would be as easy as scooping them out... they really are just arms sticking out of the rock! They seem to bury their bodies in little tiny cracks in the rock, leaving their little arms waving in the current!

I'm thinking this weekend is a good one for taking my rock out and getting that mantis...so I can get a harlequin!

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you are taking out the rock anyway, you might as well do an RO water dip. They will usually panic and scurry. Keep a bucket of tank water to keep them afterwards. Works on Mantis also btw

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
hmmm- thoughts on the harlequin eating these guys???

one more thing- the rock i need to dip has a ton of coral attached to it- zoos, and misc hitchiker corals, and a small oyster- will the RO dip kill everything? How long would you recommend dipping for if not?

Thanks again!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
hmmm- thoughts on the harlequin eating these guys???

one more thing- the rock i need to dip has a ton of coral attached to it- zoos, and misc hitchiker corals, and a small oyster- will the RO dip kill everything? How long would you recommend dipping for if not?

Thanks again!

The harlequin munches starfish as their diet. Should work, but anything can happen, all bets off. :)

A freshwater RO dip with the zoos and other corals should not be a problem. I FW dip every zoo that goes in my tank anyway. The polyps are normally open within 15 minutes after introducing it to my tank after the dip.

digitalreefer said:
I pick a ton out constantly... I keep em in a seperate tank if anyone wants some.

digital, see quote below:

House of Laughter said:
I have 2 harlequins in stock - I could use some feeders :)

House

Seems like a match made in heaven.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
would a Pseudo. eat them? I know they eat bristleworms. If you catch the mantis I'll take it off your hands :)

Just a reminder.

Pseudo may kill other tankmates too as in the case of our unfortunate mod who has purchased one uninformed of the personality of it. :shhh: :tongue1: Pseudo should stay in more aggressive tank and somewhat seal top tank.

gettanked

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hundreds if not thousands of little waving arms- all belonging to these little micro stars.

Did you put the little star fish in your tank?
If you have the little Hawaiian star fish, I seen a guy on eBay selling them for one dollar per star fish.
I have the little Hawaiian star fish in my tanks and they have not bothered anything and I think they are better scavengers.
Do you have a picture of your tank showing the star fish?
- gettanked

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: