Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't even contemplate it.

JUST NO.

they freek out in aquariums, need pristine water conditions and O2 levels, don't like light, and are a P.I.T.A. to feed.

not to mention they are shortlived.

THey DO make nice BIRD BEEK TRIMMERS and a source of calcium for herps though once dead.

jreef

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Agreed. Once bought one to help with a purple lobster problem and watched it waste away which didn't take particularly long (and of course it didn't have the slightest interest in the lobster).

BTW, it was another idea from one of schmuckboy's helpers...both the lobster in the first place and then the cuttlefish as well. Tack that on the list with the dozen shrimp the lobster snapped apart.

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picasso are not coral eaters.

yeah they nail some pods and worms, occasional chitons and snails ( not astrea or helpfull ones)

but they are easily removed with training by surface feeding and a swift net. it is hte fastest way.

you have Clams in your tank ? that may be the only risk.

I had derasa and my triggers left it alone.

Maine littlenecks.. they hammered it ! LUNCH TIME ! lol

donno. I'd need more background info as to occup'nts in yer tank to give a solid reply

jreef

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Full blown 150 mixed reef (Some soft/LPS/SPS) with some nice Croceas/Maximas.

Goldflake and Blue-faced angels; Chevron and Purple tangs; Mystery/five bar, six line and Aussie tusk wrasses; some green chromis, pair of maroon gold-stripes (favorite trigger feedstock)in a rose bubble, a bengai and a dusky jaw. Lots of inverts including emerald crabs (no shrimp thanks to Dr. Evil the lobster).

The picasso would likely terrorize the fish, munch the inverts, nip the corals and rearrange the rock. Might or might not go after the lobster depending on how hungry I kept him.

Rhinecanthus triggers (like the Picasso)are some of the most likely to do this. For a reef, its best to stick with Xanthichthys (bluejaw, crosshatch, sargassum) or Melichthys (pinktail, black durgon)as they are by nature planktivores (thus the upturned mouth). Nigers are generally hit or miss.

Problem is, I want in invert muncher to go after the lobster but without the rest of the baggage which is a huge gamble and therein lies the problem. So far I've been waiting out his lifespan, anyone know how long these f*ckers live?

Additionally, I gave up on the commercial traps a while ago, he's too smart.

jreef

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Forgot my dwarf golden moray (G. melatremus), and dwarf lionfish. (neither would bother a cleaner shrimp)

And the tusk is a juvenile (took me 5 months to find a juvenile aussie).

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the moray won't eat it ?
interesting.

ONE BANGAII ? you DO KNOW that those are schoolers.. yes yes ?

try making a TRAP for the lobster. it will be the best bet.

jreef

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bangais are not schoolers. Upon maturing, they will pair off and in most tanks (except in really big ones) kill off the rest.

As for the trap, I own 3 different commercial traps and don't have the room for the inverted soda bottle trick.

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah yer correct about the MATURE fish and the agression. Juvies are often found in Diadema urchins for protection, and school untill they are of weening age. Nice to see you know your ****... its rare that someone can swing and hit a few of my pitches past the mound and be on base ;)

have you tried asking it to "leave" ?
emot-lolsig..gif

ps: Sorry for Hijack on the Cuttlefish thread....

jreef

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've asked him and he gave me a f*ck you look. Been like that for a while.

He belongs to whoever wants him after I finally catch him...that is if he survives the 45 floor drop to the pavement from my window.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: