nilo

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi everyone.

im planning on starting a small reef tank around 29 gal. i have recently moved on the west side and will be living in an aprtment building. i just want to know where you think is the best place to buy a tank of this size. i don't have a car so if the tank, stand, and hood can be delivered, it would be a plus. i'm also looking for a place to have the tank drilled for an overflow. thanks in advance.

neil

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I would try one of the Petco, there is one in Union Square, I think that they sell tanks that are reef ready. If you go to their web site you can see or give them a call. If you just want the tank/stand/hood check one of the Petlands also. Both places should delivery. New World on 38th street off of 3rd mostly likely has one, and it's probably reef ready, but will cost more than either of the places.

Also the The Pet Sheld used to be on on W96th street but they move recently, maybe someone know where, I think they're still on the west side.

Michael

A

apparent

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go to petland if they don't have it they will order it for you

Snipes

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go acrylic. This way you can order online and have it shipped for almost nothing.

Petco in Union Square is a ripoff...and a disgrace. Stay away.

If you are in an apartment in Manhattan, most likely there is a clause in your lease which states that you may not have an aquarium -- that's very common in NYC. So...if you go acrylic, you won't ever have a leaky tank...and you'll be safe from eviction.

A

apparent

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't be safe from scratches though
bang.gif

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do NOT get acrylic.

you will kick yourself FOREVER.

You can NOT be evicted for having a fishtank, or for it having ruptured. Spills happen. ALSO it is a Psychological "Calming Device" and they can not disallow it.
That is what renters insurance and LAND OWNER insurance is for.
FWIW, go with a 50 gallon Breader or OCEANIC if you are going to drill and plumb it. A 29 gallon with an overflow will be cramped and difficult to work with.
TRUST ME ON THIS ONE. ;)

Depending on how much U want to spend, I can beat the price of LFS in your area and deliver / set up.... IF you need a complete setup.

lemme know .

[ July 17, 2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Dave ESPI ]

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Cheapest place would probably be Petland, although I dont remember seeing any drilled tanks. (To setup a sump) You may also want to try Pet Shed on 96th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam, they are on the 2nd floor above Plant Shed. I got my 180 gallon tank from them for a REAL good price and they know reef supplies "somewhat".

Plus, I am sure they could use the business and they seem to be pretty decent guys.

-Alfred

R

ryuken168

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
This is my source in NYC for the cheapest price in new brand name fish tanks from 29 to 220 gallon and other fish related accessories.
His prices are the cheapest I ever seen.
Also depending on what his distributor has on sale that month which he pass the saving off to you.
For example, last month the 125 and 220 Perfecto tanks was on sale. (note go w/ Perfecto since they offer a 20 year warranty on 65 gal and above)
I got the tank for $190 and the black pine stand for $175. The metal stand for that tank is $65.

E-mail Louis at [email protected]. w/ a list of stuff you want and he'll quote you a price. Tell him Ken refer you.
If you like the prices you will need to leave a small deposit so he can place the order. It take 3 days for the order to arrive. You will need to pick it up at his home in Bay Ridge or he might be able to deliver it for a fee.
The other good thing is he also drills for sump for upon request and makes custom wet drys.

If you want used stuff he also has that. Louis and his partner brought out the remaining stock of tanks and accessories from Young's of Aquatic Treasures. He has a lot of 33 long drilled tanks and used lights. The used stuff are 40% off online prices and 25% off on new stuff.

Ken

jreef

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did I hear someone recommend New World?

Not to get off on a rant, but lets see...

cost. Is extremely expensive an understatement??

setup (Do you enjoy having your chiller and other equipment blowout?...brings back lots of painfull memories, latest of which was having to redrill my sump which had been return plumbed with 3/4 inch line. Not to digress, but the Amiracle sump that I had to redrill, which was sold to me as "new", hadn't even been produced for the better part of a decade according to Amiracle. The rep said all have been 1 inch returns as long as she had been there and had to find an 'old-timer' to even identify it), and

followup service (lets see...your tank became a jacuzzi because we mounted the chiller below it next to your sump and put the halides directly on top of the tank, and all your livestock died...No problem, we'd be happy to fix the situation, here's our solution: that'll be $$$ to replace the livestock and here's the number for an airconditioner guy)

then again, was there service in the first place????

I'm sure I'm missing some other color, anyone want to contribute?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
"Did I hear someone recommend New World?"

I mention them but also said that they where more expensive than the other places but if he really need the tank they mostly would have it.

Remeber this is Manhattan so prices are more than other places. I been at New World many of a time and have seen the people there recommand the most expensive equipment and the thing is that the person buying doesn't know better and buy what the recommand. They then have to come back and get even more equipment to make it work. The thing is that that don't have any problem taking advantage of the people coming in and since they're in Manhattan they fine that people have money to burn.

Michael

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: