gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Anyone else have a Korallin Calcium reactor?
I CONSTANTLY (like every few days) have to tweak either the drip flow out of the unit or the CO2 bubble rate that goes into the unit. Anyone else have this problem and could suggest something? I've already replaced the terrible valves that come with the unit to valves from John Guest valves from usplastics.com. I've had the unit for about 6 months now and it keeps needing tweaks.

Thanks,
Nate

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I have one, its been very good to me. After maybe 3 weeks, the calcium in the water is off maybe 20-30ppm. I typically just add a little b-ionic and its back to normal.

A solution to all that tweaking is a PH monitor. Then you just pretty much control the effluent water and its set. And a calcium monitor for your tank would make life easier as well.

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have one, its been very good to me. After maybe 3 weeks, the calcium in the water is off maybe 20-30ppm. I typically just add a little b-ionic and its back to normal.

A solution to all that tweaking is a PH monitor. Then you just pretty much control the effluent water and its set. And a calcium monitor for your tank would make life easier as well.

I should have been more clear. It isn't that I notice that my water params are off which makes me tweak it, it is that the effluent (drip) rate coming out of the Korallin reactor slows or stops after a few days. Seems like it must get jammed up with gunk but I can't figure how this could be. I keep having to open up my John Guest valves slightly to get the drip rate going again.

How are you feeding the water to the reactor?

Cali, I use a little maxijet pump to feed the reactor. I learned early that the "gravity" method was a joke.

Thanks,
Nate

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
My effluent flow hasn't gotten clogged once yet and its been going for I think 5 months now. I'm wondering if your maxijet is sucking up detritus from the bottom.

I'm using a flow pinch valve instead of a ball valve that you use to control the effluent rate
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idProduct=FT0002

Also, I T'ed off my return pump to feed the calcium reactor as cali suggested and it works great.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Maxijets don't like back pressure.. Most return pump will work much better when you tap of it.

Ming, I am modding my Korallin No3 reactor into a Ca reactor, ending up spending more money than what I sold you the reactor for:lol2:.

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My effluent flow hasn't gotten clogged once yet and its been going for I think 5 months now. I'm wondering if your maxijet is sucking up detritus from the bottom.

I'm using a flow pinch valve instead of a ball valve that you use to control the effluent rate
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idProduct=FT0002

Also, I T'ed off my return pump to feed the calcium reactor as cali suggested and it works great.

The maxi's are in my sump with no substrate, so I doubt that they would be getting clogged, but that could be a possibility.....

I'll give the flow pinch valve a shot.. See if that works better than the JG valves.

While thinking about this I just realized I may have something obvious out of whack.... Do you have your pinch valve placed before the main reactor or at the end (near the effluent drip)? I have mine at the end.

Which model Maxijet?

So this MJ gets clog up with stuff? have you open up the pump to see what is stuck in there?

I'm not sure off hand what maxijet it is. I'll have to check when I get home. And it isn't the maxijet that gets clogged it appears to be the valves.

Thanks,
Nate

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Even though theres no substrate in the sump, it often gets some detritus on the bottom. Which the maxijet could be sucking up and then clogging the valve.

I keep the pincher on the end where the drip is coming out

As for cali's comment, I believe he means a return pump is usually a lot stronger in blowing any small particle through the valve and keeping the drip consistent whereas the maxijet wont have enough power to blow it through and therefore gets clogged.

The maxi's are in my sump with no substrate, so I doubt that they would be getting clogged, but that could be a possibility.....

I'll give the flow pinch valve a shot.. See if that works better than the JG valves.

While thinking about this I just realized I may have something obvious out of whack.... Do you have your pinch valve placed before the main reactor or at the end (near the effluent drip)? I have mine at the end.

I'm not sure off hand what maxijet it is. I'll have to check when I get home. And it isn't the maxijet that gets clogged it appears to be the valves.

Thanks,
Nate

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: