Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Hey all,

Quick question. I brought a tank that has been up and running for a few years now. Had live sand, rock, cleanup crew etc. Upon pickup I took the water that was in the tank and etc, set up it at my house did a water change and the whole nine. The rock all has hair algae on it, as well as the glass of the tank. Took the fish out put them in a QT. Just tested levels they are all absurdly high. Do I continue to keep doing water changes? Or what should my next alternative be? I already replaced all the filter sponges and etc.
Thanks.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
If tank has no fish, not coral and no inverts i would do a complete water exchange. Remove all the old water and put in new water.

Chances are that the rocks and sand bed are leaching stuff though, so this could take a while.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
The tank has some inverts such as snails and hermit crabs.. I have done water changes already. The rock has mass hair algae. Defineately carrying some critters. I see some good criters but I also see ones im not sure about. The tank smells bad too I need to get rid of the smell.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
It's def gonna recycle

How did u move the sand ??
Ur best bet is let it recycle if it was me I'd add dr tims or similar product !
Keep an eye on levels and u might have to start water changes and Gfo !
I set up a 220 last year and had major hair algae issue I
U need too do weekly water-changes and use a clear tubing to suck out whatever hair u can especially when it starts to die off it should come right off

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
When moving left the sand in the tank with a little bit of water over it. Was only a 30 min drive so was not bad. I'm seeing A lot of worms and etc. I've been doing water changes but the water is still gross. Can I take all the rock out and do something with it? So I can mix up the sand and put all new water in? What's the best way to go about this?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Specifically which levels are absurdly high?

You mention taking out the fish and the water..did you also take the rock out? How did you transport the rock and assuming it was out of water - how long was it out of water & where is it now?

From what I've read so far, I's suggest you stir up the sand and do a huge water change. If you have reactors, I'd get GFO and carbon running.

Manually remove the hair algae and once you get the parameters stable you can add more of a CUC to help with the hair algae.

You will need to carefully monitor the levels where you are keeping the fish & make sure the QT has a cover on it.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Kathy,

The rock was transported in a pale in water that was taken out from the tank so the rock was not sitting out of water. When I got home I set up the tank and stand and put the water that was originally in there back in as well as put all the rock back. So nothing was ever out of water for an extended period of time. The rocks were just put back in but not placed where I want them to be because I don't know what I want to do with it. The nitrite and nitrate levels are the levels that are high and there's a little ammonia. My question is can I take the rocks out and out them in a pale for now and then take the water out, mix up the sand and put all new water in? When I brought the tank home I had put 8 gallons of water I had made in and I did a 7g water change yest. It's a 28g nano but the water is still disgusting.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
The Fish are in a QT with a cover on it. They are actually extremely healthy and fat which I don't know how they were living in such poor conditions. I am going to treat them anyways and make sure they are eating.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Kathy,

The rock was transported in a pale in water that was taken out from the tank so the rock was not sitting out of water. When I got home I set up the tank and stand and put the water that was originally in there back in as well as put all the rock back. So nothing was ever out of water for an extended period of time. The rocks were just put back in but not placed where I want them to be because I don't know what I want to do with it. The nitrite and nitrate levels are the levels that are high and there's a little ammonia. My question is can I take the rocks out and out them in a pale for now and then take the water out, mix up the sand and put all new water in? When I brought the tank home I had put 8 gallons of water I had made in and I did a 7g water change yest. It's a 28g nano but the water is still disgusting.

Yes, you can put the rocks in a pail and stir up the sand and do a total water change..but no doubt the rocks & sand are loaded with nitrites and phosphates and they will continue leaching out.
You will need to continuously run (and change) GFO and carbon and do frequent water changes. It's going to be an uphill battle that will go on for months.

There is nothing you can do instantly to 'fix' your issue with the rock - short of getting all new rock & sand, and then you'd have to cycle the tank again.

How long do you plan to keep the fish in the QT ? ..and do watch the levels in there too!!

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
The QT has been running but I haven't used anything in it yet so I don't got much to worry about. And honestly as long as they need to until this tank is good to go. Do you suggest that I buy all new rock and all new sand? Or just use what was in there? (Really don't want to buy all new sand/rock).
Thanks for the input/advice. I ordered carbon bags for the filter that should be here Monday. Replaced all the sponges used and etc.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I would just keep doing wc and run Gfo and some kind of bacteria like dr tims
Give it time !

Next time I'd safe a little sand but use mostly new sand

But hopefully few others will chime in because this is just my opinion

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Yeah used the sand that was in there. I'll do almost a near full water change, stir up the sand put in new water as well as the rocks again and let everything chill and test levels. And when they are ok I'll put a cleanup crew in. Run some carbon and that'll be that. Going to take some time. Probably can't do the water change until Monday. But thanks for the help and input. Greatly appreciated.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What I would do is take enough water from your tank fill a bucket and take the LR out and scrub them. Place them in bucket so you don't lose bacteria. Use other bucket with new saltwater mix and a fast dip for a rinse. Would of only add small amount of sand and mix mostly new sand. Than what ever you have left in the tank. Take half the water out and replace with new saltwater mix. But since you did some water changes. I would wait a week and do 5 gallon water change. Wait a week and test water. Your tank will cycle but will not go through a long cycle if at any. Main concern is phosphate leaching from LR so watch that and you can add GFO or add a few bacteria products like mention. This is where a good skimmer can help also.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I forgot to mention.. Before I put the rock in a scrubbed each piece with a toothbrush in the water I transported them in then placed them in the tank and got rid of that water.. Did not seem like it had helped though. What should I scrub them with? And you're telling me to replaced half the old sand with new sand?

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Just an update.. Last night I tore the tank down, took the rocks out put them in a pail with the water from the tank. Took out half the sand that was in there and put half new sand. Made up all new water for it. Made a pale of saltwater and dipped the rocks as well as brushed them with a clean toothbrush to get most of the hair algae off and place them back in. Replace the sponges, put new carbon bags in and turned the pumps back on. Water is clear, most of the tank smell is gone and the rocks look good. A little ammonia, no nitrites, and a little nitrates as per the test just done. Thanks for the advice everyone, now its time to wait before it can be stocked!

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Hey all,

Quick question. I brought a tank that has been up and running for a few years now. Had live sand, rock, cleanup crew etc. Upon pickup I took the water that was in the tank and etc, set up it at my house did a water change and the whole nine. The rock all has hair algae on it, as well as the glass of the tank. Took the fish out put them in a QT. Just tested levels they are all absurdly high. Do I continue to keep doing water changes? Or what should my next alternative be? I already replaced all the filter sponges and etc.
Thanks.
What u mean "all the filter sponges" ?! NOT sure if is good idea, unless u clean every day, or have very clean tank, make sure u dose Bacteria. Hair algae takes many weeks to be out, buy some cure rocks, if u don't need to many.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: