xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://flickr.com/photos/59422509@N00/ I have a 55gal reef, water parameters are excellent, RO/DI water, MH on for 8 hrs. Reef devil Skimmer, DSB, I noticed my zoas aren't opening like they used to, and also the "grass" polyps, sangulira (sp) aren't opening as nice as they used to. My clam, fish (4 blk/wht clowns, 1 purple pseudochromis) are doig fine, should I get rid of my DSB? Should I start a nano to house my corals until I get my 55 straight?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Please specify the water parameters that you test that are excellent. Zoanthids and green star polyps are great indicators that a parameter is off.

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up for 5 years running, parameters 0 nitrates, .0026 salt, RO/DI water, I forgot the exact PH and Calcium # but in using the test kit it came up normal. I use the aquariumpharm test kits. water flow is fine. I am planning on overhauling tank with the removal of the sand. I have a DSB 4" I think its time to let it out once and for all.

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hard corals died. I have the clam, zoas, star polyps, mushrooms, anenome, ricordia, singulara, lobo, frogspawn, I figured with the MH the hard corals would love the light. Never worked out ok. Water parameters are good, 0 phos, 0 nitrates, normal PH,

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
the hard corals died. I have the clam, zoas, star polyps, mushrooms, anenome, ricordia, singulara, lobo, frogspawn, I figured with the MH the hard corals would love the light. Never worked out ok. Water parameters are good, 0 phos, 0 nitrates, normal PH,

The fact that your hard corals have died in addition to your zoas, indicates a systemic problem. Test your PH and let us know the value. How old are your test kits... and aquarium pharmacuticles test kits are not that accurate.

How deep is your DSB? and what is it made of.. looks like crushed coral?

In the picture labled montiporas, it looks like you are having a algae outbreak?

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I don't think it has anything to do with your MH.

What is your dsb made of. As I said it looks like crushed coral, which is a trap for detrius. Furthermore, the grain size is not small enough to allow an anerobic enviroment to occur at the bottom of the dsb. That will lead to an increase in Phosphates and nitrates. It is very possible to have elevated phosphates wich do not show up on a test kit.

The problem with aquarium pharmacuticles test kits is that they are not very accurate. With something like PH, .1 or .2 off can be a real problem as it is a log.

R32Brightliner

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I agree with Meschaefer. Something is not right. Test kits you are using are not very reliable. I would recheck that pH with a more reliable kit or a pH probe. Also, what is your alkalinity and calcium levels?

It really sounds like your parameters are far from 'good'. Also, you stated that you figured that the sps would love the metal halides. It takes more than just light to keep sps. Stable, solid water parameters that are checked with very reliable test kits is the key...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: