Rating - 100%
60   0   0
did u know the AquaMedic doses by time, instead of volume like the LiterMeter

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm happy with my aquamedic.

once you figure out how much it doses you can convert the time into volume.

the liter meter has that figured out for you already I guess, but you are paying a premium for it.

since the top off can fluctuate I don't think it's the best choice for that. I prefer a float valve
and solenoids.

Last edited:
Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
While I have never used them personally, I know many hobbyists that have used Liter meters for years and they all love them. Spectrapure is a reputable company that has been around a long time and their customer service is very good. I'm not sure what advantages the other unit would provide that you would need. At any rate, a Liter Meter is certainly not cheaping out. It is a quality unit. Randy

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Randy, I didn't mean that the litermeter is cheaping out, actually the opposite.

The litermeter for $300 provides only one pump. To do what I want (two part addition, and water replacement) I would need another two pumps at $150 each plus a float switch for water replacement $40 (approximate values).

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Shaun,

I use the P something or other 3000 - it's a peristalic pump that I use with a float switch - they are like $90 each and come with an extra piece of tubing.

For dosing, you can get another one and use a rnaco single stage controller - all would cost you around $300

Good idea, cause I recently tested my Alk and it was 14 dkh :bigeyes:

I like to keep it around 11 - that's why one of my colonies bleached yesterday :banghead:

I'll be following this thread closely

House

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
You can set the time based on volume - since my evap. volume is high I can set it to dose from certain time to certain time each day, no?

J

I've never owned a Ranco. But I thought they controlled items based on temperature readings, not time. A standard Home Depot timer would be a better decision to control a top-off pump in that manner.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
there are a bunch of choices for top off.
these are a few.

I use a double float switch connected directly to my ro/di output. the float switch is connected to 2 solenoid valves that are closed in the off position.
when the float switch turns them on they both open.
I got the set up from autotop.com

I've heard great things about the tunze osmolator as well.
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TZ4111

Reef geek has the reef fanatic model, http://reefgeek.com/products/categories/float_switch/104593.html

I do not like the top off units that employ the air pressure tube.
I had a bad experience with a spectrapure unit years ago, it dumped the entire reservoir at once. I have not heard of this happening too often so
mine could have been an isolated incident. But it kind of turned me off to their products.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Shaun, I told you I have the topoff module from Spectrapure. The only thing you need for it are a couple of tubes which you can get quite cheaply. Ill bring that thing to Jons place on Monday.

As far as dosing goes I use the Litermeter. Its precise and just does not fail on you. It keeps going. At least that is a part of the system I never have to worry about. It is set to dose and specified ml / day which it spreads out over a 24 hour period so the ca and alk stay stable. It gives me peace of mind.

For water top off I use an Osmolator. No complaints.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
My liter meter (the old version I got for $100) has a built in float switch. It's just a piece of airline tubing with a tube on it. Somewhere inside I guess is a pressure switch. It works great for topoff. It's also the best $100 I've ever spent on my reef.

If I didn't have it I would set up a switch and a solenoid.

I think my ACJr also could dose for me. I'd just have to find a small pump that I could vary the output. I think that 1 minute is the shortest time I can cycle anything.

hmmmmmmm

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: