inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Do most people silicone their cutting board?

I have 0.5" cutting board ready to be laid out in my 58g and was wondering if people glued it down or just don't bother.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wouldn't glue it on the bottom, b/c how would you ever get it out?

Place it in ur tank and just silicone around the edges to hold it in place and keep detrious from getting under it.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
the only reason i never silicone the bottom of it is incase it has to be removed for any reason (selling the tank, replacing the tank) I'm pretty sure silicone directly under the board is gonna be a helluva alot stronger when trying to pull it out

By siliconing the sides u can easily use a razor blade to cut it out.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
like tony and drunk said silicone around the sides.

if you want to know why do a search and look for my thread when I took out the marina board after a year and a half with no silicone around the edges.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
badtaste (9).gif

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/180073-post36.html

:dead1:

tacocat

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like tony and drunk said silicone around the sides.

if you want to know why do a search and look for my thread when I took out the marina board after a year and a half with no silicone around the edges.

Gross, but is that a bad thing? It looks like you released a colony of anearobic bacteria and their by-product. Releasing that stuff into the water column is indeed bad, but if they were left undisturbed, part of my thinking is that they would be beneficial.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Gross, but is that a bad thing? It looks like you released a colony of anearobic bacteria and their by-product. Releasing that stuff into the water column is indeed bad, but if they were left undisturbed, part of my thinking is that they would be beneficial.

good question. I have a tank made by glass cages, the interior has the 1/2" bracing they do around the perimeter. so in effect I had a mini plenum under the marinaboard.

What type of silicone do you guys recommend? Thinking of going BB with my next tank (if there ever is a next tank).

look for GE window and door type I , it has no mildew inhibitors which would be bad for the tank.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
GE silicone Type 1 window and door. They have both black and white. If an older model the type 2 will work also. The new ones have mold inhibitors. Or you can spend a little extra and get aquarium specific silicone. AGA sells them also.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: