vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Has anyone seen an answer to the question of:
What impact does having the shipped vial sit in the tube for 3 to 4 days (more or less since I dont know the shipping method) have on the chemical make up of the water sample?

I ask because I know that there could be some changes at the chemical and elemental level that comes along with temperature variations or just how long something sits. From my experience working in a chem lab analyzing tylenol, we could see the structural changes in a carbon element occur within seconds!

+1 about "temperature" some ppl pay $ 200 test for drinking water, ship on cooler.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Yes, I get that blood etc sits around for days as well, but surely that already has a full body of knowledge (reasonably) and doctors, etc know how to read the results I.e. if an element has a half live, they can predict what the concentration was 3 days prior.

I assume that these people can do the same but I think the question is valid and it would be cool for them to explicitly address it.

Along with parameters for when in your husbandry should you collect the water sample and what you should ot should not do while waiting for results.

Lol, some folks tinker with aspects of their tank on a daily basis and could prevent obtaining useful data from this testing if say they sent the vial in within hours of a WC or dosing fuel, or afterwards adding something completely new to their routine if this takes a week to get back to them.

Lol, just like with our own bodies! I know a friend of mine cuts down on sweets and fats before visiting the cardiologist. Their numbers are always better or more stable before a doctor's visit then spikes in the lull between. Not healthy, but the doc thinks he is doing his regimen!

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
This guy is a joke, + and - in same time, remove Aluminium by using Rowa, remove iron by using Aluminium (GFO) use a bigger filter if u got high Nitrate, then keep your tank Bio . The only think i agree is Macro Algae and keep the corals that grow fast and easy on u. I try to have a Vacation in peace then work for him.

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Well that didn't last long lmao

What didn't last long? People being skeptical about a claim from a for profit business? Debate and questioning is what drives science.

As for the triton method the rational behind it sounds great. I will be interested in seeing how the concentrations of diffrent elements and compounds change overtime. I think it will be great in finding general trends that happen in aquariums. I don't really see it being that practical. To accurately determine the formula needed for your aquarium you will have to have you water tested several times over a long period to find how much of a element is being used and how long it takes to be used. As technology improves this might become more practical and economical.

JuanSalgado

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
54   6   0
funny part is there will always be something new and supposedly better, ive seen a lot of tanks over the last decade lps and sps dominated tank's that were off the charts nice, they did water changes, used a calcium reactor and doses magnesium and nothing else, i truelly think we are trying to hard and over looking the simple

very true

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Joe, is this going to be part of his presentation? It should be mentioned on the club announcement too...the way it was posted doesn't give any detail. If it is going to be part, it should be included as it's a very interesting topic!

pmoneyt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Here is what I took from the video. Doing this test you can see all elements in your water both good and bad. It could be something as simple as change the type of food you feed your fish that will lower a bad element to improve your water quality.

Is the guy selling something? Yes, did he say you have to buy his products to see changes? No. He say you and use anything you want to reach the goal you want but you first need a baseline of whats elements you have in your tank.

It's just like our fish. Certain fish require certain types of food to live not just survive and the same goes with out coral. if you like acro's and your tanks doesn't have to element to make them grow will they? probably not.

What we need to do is keep an open mind about this. I for one would like to know how much copper and other elements is in my system from the food I put in my tank.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen an answer to the question of:
What impact does having the shipped vial sit in the tube for 3 to 4 days (more or less since I dont know the shipping method) have on the chemical make up of the water sample?

I ask because I know that there could be some changes at the chemical and elemental level that comes along with temperature variations or just how long something sits. From my experience working in a chem lab analyzing tylenol, we could see the structural changes in a carbon element occur within seconds!

If the analytical method "sees" all elements regardless how they are bonded, whether they are inside a bacterium or not, whether they are an oxide or chelated to a protein, shipping time won't matter. If this is the way it works, the analysis you receive is not simply the free elements in solution but the total amount which may or may not be available to your coral.

We will have to get clarification of what the analysis means.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: