P

Pauley Tang

I'm tired of not having a decent canopy on my tank (72 bowfront). I have a hamilton MH hood on a diy track shelving unit behind the tank, but light spills into my room and it just doesn't have that neat finished look. So, I want to have a nice canopy made. Does anyone know where I can go to get this done? I was thinking about World Class Aquarium in Brooklyn, since they do custom stuff, but didn't know if there are other recommendations. Thanks in advance.

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jeez thats pricey... nice work tho.

I just picked up apparant's 72 Bowfront and I am going to be making a hood for it, I am planning on duplicating the style of the AGA black stand that goes with it.

I have designs on paper right now, but im going to lay them out in illustrator with precise measurements etc.. so if your feeling like having a DIY weekend I can pass you the plans once im done making them. Although you might want to wait for me to actually build the thing so I can warn you about what NOT to do when I screw something up.
approve.gif

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice job man.

did you bend a thin sheet of ply around the frame on the front to get the curve? or is it some other material?

I am thinking about creating a top like you did, but using vertical slats on the front to create the curve. thats the style of the stand at least.
have not fully worked out the hood doors/access yet.. but i like your solution.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
No, I couldn't get the ply to bend (and now have excess ply :-( and used a piece of masonite instead - that worked out really good. It paints up no different (actually a little smoother to paint) and seems to be holding on - we'll see in the long run, but for not it looks good.

Anyhow, if you have any questions feel free to ask -

HoH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: