Toe'Knee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to New World last week with a co-worker of mine and we just went to see what they had, so I was looking around and seen some mushrooms that were small and also some zoos and polyps. It was a sunday and it was an hour before they were going to close. So I asked one of the guys the price for the small frags and he asked his boss and they said $3.99. I got one piece that was about 2-3" and some shrooms that were an inch each. I also got a nice leather coral that was 2.5-3". The two guys I delt with was nice and they actually answered questions w/o an attitude ;)

I went to fish town USA (after a hour and a half train ride, then a 30 min. bus drive) and it wasnt all that...too me. Corals arent all that, but the fish are cheap and pretty nice. empl. werent that helpful, they were chargin me $7.99 for frags half the size at New World (shrooms) but they had the cucumber I wanted $7.99...one died, other one doing great. The one that died didnt hurt the tank...thank God.

Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i live 5 blocks from fish town. every wed or thur they always adding their live stock.
every week i always in fish town. they have a great price comparing other store that i went.
i got my yellow polyps for 17.99 , 2 mushrrom for 3.00. specially the live rock 3.99 pds.
Fish Town Rules

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I don't think New World has anything for $3.99, maybe some damsels. ;) Their frags are usally $15 they must have made a mistake or it was something that thye just wanted to get rid of.

Fish Town corals move very fast so you need to get there when the they come in or you may miss out.

Michael

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A frag at that price from new world? you sure that wasnt just the tax? :D

serriously tho, New world is a place that everyone loves to hate. They have greatly inflated prices over what you can get online or out of town. (however, this is new york, a coffe down the street will also run you about 5 bucks) The reality is that they are the only store in the heart of the city that has survived over time. For that I give em credit, Not that I buy much from em...

did I have a point? ahhh.. i guess not.

C

Crakeur2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds to me like the sales guy at NWA misread the location of the decimal.

With regards to Fish Town USA, I heard the show tank with the purple shrooms crashed after many years. Sad. That tank was covered with purple shrooms of all sizes.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
With reguards to the purple mushrooms tank crashing at Fish Town, I don't think it did they just took it down.
I wanted to buy a coral that was in the tank and they told me that they weren't selling any of the corals in the that tank but they would be taking the tank down soon, this was a couple of months ago, and would be selling off the corals in the tank at that time and they would hold the coral for me. They told me that they need more space for fish and that tank was taking up room.

Michael

C

Crakeur2

Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
that's odd. My dad stops in there all the time and is friendly with Mike (the owner) and was told by him, or an employee, that it crashed.

Too bad too, they used to pull loose shrooms out and give them to us.

Toe'Knee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dnt get me wrong fishtown is a great looking store, the guys tht work there aren't rude and the corals are ok. The prices are good also, but when I went in I asked about some loose shrooms and some frags of polyps and the guy said he won't sell them then I asked again and he said 7.99 each, and thts for one shroom. I also purchased a cucumber for I think 7 which is doing great. But when me and my friend went the NWA on sun. The guy there asked the boss for me about some zoo, polyp,shrooms, and leather frags. The boss said charge them 3.99 each. Last few times I was there the guys were rude, people I sent there thy were rude too as well, but they were cool this time. I guess u gotta go on a sun with no other customers in the store an hour before they close to get deals ;)

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i go to fishtown all teh time, ive never seen any shrooms for 7.99 the only thing ive seen are mushroom srocks with 4 or 5 on them for liek 30 bucks.

I also think the shroom tank crashed i saw it a few times and things did not look good

Toe'Knee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess its just hard to believe tht N.W had something for a good price, but thts wht happened. And it was the manager tht gave us the price. Fish town didn't have a price posted for the frags (new world didn't either) I asked and thts the price they had. They were just scraps from the larger corals, but hey I'm not complaining ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: