P

Pedro

While BB is not a trend, 'going BB' definitely was. :rolleyes:

The yankee knew what i was referring to. It's a fact!

With this sandbed i plan on keeping on top of it. That means i will keep gobies, conches, snails, and any critter that helps keep it healthy. More often than not, DBS crash due to inproper maintenance/husbandry.

Whatever method you choose all i can say is sit back and analyze what you plan on doing. Try to execute it so that it will not backfire down the road. Good luck!

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
John,

The problem with setting up some kind of fuge is that this tank has a really awkward footprint. The biggest sump I can fit right now is 30x12 and even that is propped up on 2x4's so I can have clearance. I've always had intentions to make a custom acrylic sump; I just never have the time to get everything together and build it.

If I set up a SSB will it have the same benefits or do I really need to setup at least 5-6"?

Steven

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
here's my short take on the choices we have now for the bottoms
of our tanks.

BB, or fake sand beds.
Great for massive flow, keep the detritus off the bottom, and
use a extra large skimmer for the tank.

SSB
nice when you just want the look of sand.
Don't let crap build up on the bottom. treat it like
a BB tank as far as keeping it clean. Also use a large skimmer
and or a remote DSB, salt buckets are great for this use.
why not make a remote DSB in a bucket and a remote fuge in a bucket.
you can stack them so they are gravity fed :)

DSB
okay not my favorite choice, but like Pedro said, know what your doing if you use one. at some point the DSB will get plugged up, do the best you can in keeping the tank clean to prolong the inevitable ;)

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I feel like a DSB is like having a ticking time bomb in the tank, your only inches from lots of anerobic nastyness that could potentially kill the whole tank if disturbed.
I know lots of people have great success with DSB but having pockets of potentially leathal gas (anywhere but in your pants) just makes me nervous.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: