jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay everyone, my goal is to setup my 125 by Sept. 1st. I've corrected a few mistakes from when it was setup a few years ago. But I'm still up in the air about whether or not to use a plenum under the new sandbed. Any thoughts?

Jeff

P.S. I've read Dr. Ron's stuff and Julian Sprungs'

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I wouldn't go with the plenum as if something go wrong you stuck and may have to break down the tank to get rid of the plenum. I would put in a refugium instead.

Check on Reef Central there is probably alot of options on wether people are still using plenum and the pro's and con's./

Michael

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never really was too thrilled about the idea of one.. from what i understand the real goal is to get anerobic (no oxygen needed to live) bacteria thriving..

I would think a dsb is a better low oxygen / high bacteria density enviorment.. instead of a low oxygen chunk of empty water.

the P.I.T.A of a plenum if something goes wrong down there... way too much of a headache IMO. but people do still have em... anyone know why?

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing wrong with plennumns.
I run a few myself. a 1/2 inch lift and 3.5 - 4 inches of aragonite and oolitic sand blend will be perfect. the problem with DSB, is cementation, and the trapping of a few very noxious substances.

if you have ever had to break down a DSB tank, you will notice a very strong odor from the sand.
Rarely do I have this with a Plennumn system. If you need to get water circulating, or clean UNDER the plennumn once every few years, you can make " Stand pipes" and cap them off in the back of the tank. This will allow you the room to snake a hose down under your plennum and work it around siphoning off the sediment and detritus under the plate without ever removing it.

HTH.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I say Plenum Jeff -

And if you do the plenum right, you shouldn't have to take anything out ever - JMHO

Inmy new tank, I made a plenum myself and covered it with 3" or course crushed aragonite. After that I put down another screen so that the aragonite doesn't get disturbed and so that if I get a digger (blue spotted jawfist etc) he wo't penetrate the aragonit because it has a prtective cover.

On top of the 3" of crushed aragonite, I put down 5 inches of southdown (2" of which was from my 18month old tank - lots of life, starfish and bacteria).

My tank has been up a month and no algea bloom and zero's across the board on all tests (except for calcium at 450 :) I also can see the bubbles from denitrification foming below the sandbed.

So, I say plenum and do it right.

Hope that helps

HoH

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House,
My concern with the plenum is an accumilation of fine sediments in the plenum over time. I had a plenum under the DGB in my small koi pond which worked great foe about 2 years and then I started having algae problems. When I broke down the pond I noticed there was about a 1/2" of superfine sediment in the plenum. I thought this might be the cause of the algae problem. Have you noticed an accumulation of sediment in your plenums or any sudden algae problems after a couple of years with your plenums?

Jeff

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds interesting... that standpipe idea is good stuff. maybe I should take a stab at that. would you guys recomend installing one in the main tank or the refugium? as far as i can remember ive only seen them setup in the main tanks.. thoughts?

slowly setting up my 72 and lookin for opinions, tryin to be smart about it an stuff.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: