A

aquadude

I am setting up a 125 gallon reef tank with drilled holes on back of the tank. The draining/sucking sound is extremely loud, especially since I will not be covering the tank to accommodate Metal Halide Pendants.

I have found information for reducing overflow trickle noise (durso pipe), but I don't see this helping in my situation. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning my 125 setup now also. I will be drilling 3-1 1/2" holes in the middle of the back pane about 3" from the top of the glass. I am then going to fabricate a glass overflow box for inside the tank and another glass box for the outside. Then install two 1 1/4" Duraso standpipes in the exterior box to drain to the sump. This should reduce the noise and prevent tank overflows from a siphon break during power outages.

Jeff

A

aquadude

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you on your concern of a power failure. I keep testing that senario, over and over to make sure there won't be any problems. I am using a 100 gallon sump (in basement) so don't want a mishap.

3 bulkheads will give you a great flow rate. I going to try and go without an overflow for now. I got some good instruction from a thread I created on "the reef tank". Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22397

Thanks for you reply.
Shawn

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i have my bulkhead in my back glass and set it up with a durso, if i did it again id do a stockman pipe i think it would work better.

Heres wht ive found though

I have my bulkhead going through teh back directly to that i have a pvc tee, above the tee is my air control and below is the 1.25" standpipe, but i installed a 1.25 ballvalve in teh standpipe incase i wannted to do maintenance on the sump i can keep all the water in teh tank. Anyway i was getting a hiss out of the air control ontop which i couldnt stand anymore, its in my bedroom. I shut the air totally off so it created a siphon if i just left it it would suck out too ast and drain teh overflow box and start making LOUD gurgling noises. So i closed the gate vlave on teh back a little to slow down the siphon, took about 5-10 min of tweaking and i got it absolutly completly silent. Just in case the siphon stops i have drilled a few holes on the hose going into my sump so when the water rises again the water has somewher eto push the air in teh line out and start up again.

A

aquadude

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The stockman pipe really did the trick on the noise. Sounds 100% better. Thanks for the advice!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: