Drshare

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm about to give up. I have a 90 gallon salt water tank that has been up and running for about 3 years. Right now things look good but I have had my share of problems from major algae outbreaks to loss of fish. All along I just can't seem to get the nitrates down no matter what I do. I can't really seem to keep anything but hardy fish alive. Things were looking pretty good lately so I purchased a powder blue tang and a fox face. They have been eating and very active but now the powder blue is covered in what I am guessing is ick. As much as I love having the tank I am just tired of things never being right. Is there anyway of treating the ick with out harming some small corals I have in the tank???? There's no way I'm gonna be able to catch this tang

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Get a uv sterilizer, it will help minimize your outbreaks and prevent future issues. Also feed less, like every other day once and make sure the fish eat everything so no waste is going to the rocks.
Trust me been there and I know what it's like.

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Need a little more information. What are your Water Par? What kind of system is this FOWLR? RO/DI, Protein Skimmer, temp, salinity, filter, using any carbon or GFO? How many fish in the 90. What and how many times you feed your fish. Did you QT your new fish especially Power blue prone for ick. Have you had ick recently. Very possible you never gotten rid of a disease you had a while back. It's not really hard if you follow some good old rules. Especially fish only tank. UV will help but need to get to the root of the problem. Any stress can caused out break. Good luck and ask question. Someone will help . Very interesting hobby and fun when things are good. I also have 90 gal reef tank.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Algae out break are your phosphate levels are high. So watch your feeding. Also are you using RO/DI water. Water changes how much and how often do you do them. GFO reactor will help control your phosphate and will help get rid or algae. You can test your Water Par with good test kits. Clean up crew will also help. Snails ect,

Drshare

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a uv sterilizer, it will help minimize your outbreaks and prevent future issues. Also feed less, like every other day once and make sure the fish eat everything so no waste is going to the rocks.
Trust me been there and I know what it's like.

Thanks I do not have a UV Sterilizer. When I feed them they seem to eat what I put in the tank and quickly nothing really just sits around.

Drshare

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae out break are your phosphate levels are high. So watch your feeding. Also are you using RO/DI water. Water changes how much and how often do you do them. GFO reactor will help control your phosphate and will help get rid or algae. You can test your Water Par with good test kits. Clean up crew will also help. Snails ect,

My last algae outbreak came at a time when I wasn't using RO/DI water and a person who was taking care of my fish while I was away left the light on for 4 days straight. I tried everything to get rid of it but the only thing that worked was scrubbing the rocks. For clean up I have a hand full of tubro snails, nassarius snails, blue legged hermits (not many left), and I used to have cleaner shrimp but someone got to them at seperate times right after they shed

Drshare

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a little more information. What are your Water Par? What kind of system is this FOWLR? RO/DI, Protein Skimmer, temp, salinity, filter, using any carbon or GFO? How many fish in the 90. What and how many times you feed your fish. Did you QT your new fish especially Power blue prone for ick. Have you had ick recently. Very possible you never gotten rid of a disease you had a while back. It's not really hard if you follow some good old rules. Especially fish only tank. UV will help but need to get to the root of the problem. Any stress can caused out break. Good luck and ask question. Someone will help . Very interesting hobby and fun when things are good. I also have 90 gal reef tank.

The system has a few pieces of coral that were given to me and a clown, domino damsel, goby, fox face and powder blue tang. I do use RO/DI water from the fish store, have a protien skimmer, keep the tank around 78 degrees, salinity is 1.021, not using any carbon or GFO, I feed one cube of mysis a day plus some seaweed for the tang every third day. I haven't had any ich issues in a long time but I didn't QT the new additions, it has been two weeks before the powder blue showed any issues. Oh and PH is 8.4, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is 80

cono

Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
I have been having the same problem had ick thought I beat it and then again it showed up ..a few people here told me to ride it out for about 3 to 4 months and see if I loose any more fish ...(I have a 180 gallon and hard to catch all the fish I have with the rockwork that is in the tank) then from now on quarantine everything that is going into the tank...
the only question I have do all fish have ick ?

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Just wondering if anyone has any input on how to deal with the ick? And without harming the corals in the tank???

Powder blue are pretty tough to care for and have. I have a powder brown, just like powder blue, catches ick like crazy but survives in my tank. all my fishes were fine but with some occasional ick, so I decide to get ride of the powder brown, my fishes were clear after 2 months or so. So I would either try to get ride of it. I took him out of my 180g. with lots of coral, it wasn't too hard.....just have to use a baited trap, tang is the easiest to catch.

The other option is you can try the below fish food, you will need to continuous feed it for 21 days and make sure the food gets eaten and consume by the fishes as the food is medicated. Good luck
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=30016

Drshare

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blue are pretty tough to care for and have. I have a powder brown, just like powder blue, catches ick like crazy but survives in my tank. all my fishes were fine but with some occasional ick, so I decide to get ride of the powder brown, my fishes were clear after 2 months or so. So I would either try to get ride of it. I took him out of my 180g. with lots of coral, it wasn't too hard.....just have to use a baited trap, tang is the easiest to catch.

The other option is you can try the below fish food, you will need to continuous feed it for 21 days and make sure the food gets eaten and consume by the fishes as the food is medicated. Good luck
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=30016

Will this help kill the ick that is got to be in the tank its self?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: