Z06-Hec

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I happen to have a bunch of Aiptasia in my system...
So there is NONE at all in my actual display but in 1 of my 2 over flows its all over...
I assume with the current and direction of flow there is no way for it to enter the display, Should i even worry about it? It must have been there for a long time, its in the corner i cannot access or see... so i never really check that side. If it gets sucked into the pipes it will get caught by my socks before it even gets to sump/skimmer/pad/UV and return...

Any opinions?

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Be thankful it's in the overflow and not the DT - will make it easy to remove. Drain the overflow, scrape it, shop vac it, set it on fire - whatever you want. Just get rid of the aiptasia. I had dozens in my overflow for a long time, never did anything about it. Now my DT is overrun with aiptasia and I'm ready to throw something at the reef. The aiptasia will find a way to send a spore into the DT and then ... yeah ...

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
It's already everywhere in the display/sump. Only a mater of time before you start to notice it in your display & sump. I'm guessing you have a natural predator of it in your display.

Do you have peppermint shrimp, filefish or butterflies in your tank?

Z06-Hec

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I def do not see it in the display and the amount of them in the 1 overflow would indicate they have been there for a while....
in DT i have 4 clowns, 2 adult angles, 3 large tangs, 1 baby hippo tang, golden head gobie and i just added a melanarus wrasse... 3 tiger conch, about 80 or so nassirus snails, and about 4 giant mex turbo snails...
As i know, none of these eat them...

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
That must be a nice clean sand bed! :)

If it was me I'd drain the overflow and scrub it clean and remove those aiptasia. But if you do it, you have to do it hard core. You pretty much need to get every one of the buggers.

I wonder if the big angels might be nibbling the tiny aiptasia that are possibly sprouting up in the DT? Do big angels do that?

iliriano

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would check the rock work. Places where you cant really see much from the front panel of your DT. I would turn all power heads off and return pump let the water clam down and have a look from the top of the tank.

Z06-Hec

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
okay so I'm doing a water change and decide its the perfect time to do this...
I shut system off and start emptying the over flow while water is boiling in the kitchen... Maybe 3.5 gallons total...
Anyway so while the tank water is siphoning out slowly i pour the boiling water in... It does not fill the entire overflow but a little more than half.
So i take a baster and start basting the higher areas and making sure all the aiptasia i see gets basted off with the hot water. From what i see they all came out.
i decide to reverse my wet vac to create some bubbles in the over flow and let the water circulate... bad idea...
it was literally a half a second but some of the water re-entered the tank with dead matter... it was literally as soon as i turned it on i shut it off so it was as minimal as can be...
i took the baster and sucked out all of the dead matter i could see in the DT.
Then sucked out all of the water in the over flow and filled the tank with the new 35 gallons of water. so the tank has been running and all looks good and that over flow is 98% cleaner but no signs of aiptasia in there....

iliriano

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
okay so I'm doing a water change and decide its the perfect time to do this...
I shut system off and start emptying the over flow while water is boiling in the kitchen... Maybe 3.5 gallons total...
Anyway so while the tank water is siphoning out slowly i pour the boiling water in... It does not fill the entire overflow but a little more than half.
So i take a baster and start basting the higher areas and making sure all the aiptasia i see gets basted off with the hot water. From what i see they all came out.
i decide to reverse my wet vac to create some bubbles in the over flow and let the water circulate... bad idea...
it was literally a half a second but some of the water re-entered the tank with dead matter... it was literally as soon as i turned it on i shut it off so it was as minimal as can be...
i took the baster and sucked out all of the dead matter i could see in the DT.
Then sucked out all of the water in the over flow and filled the tank with the new 35 gallons of water. so the tank has been running and all looks good and that over flow is 98% cleaner but no signs of aiptasia in there....

You lucky that that was the only thing that happened. Glass like to crack with temp changes drastically. Cold on one side and boiling hot water on the other. Some may disagree but I seen it happen.

STORM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i would get a peppermint shrimp or a cooper band that eats aptasia just incase they made it to your dt tank, sometime they grow under your rocks and you don't see them until they get out of control

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: