heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Hey guys, i live in a 3 family condo in Queens, NY built in the early 80's. I am on the 2nd floor and i'm planning on setting up a 75 gallon tank. I know the tank will weight about 1,300 lbs once set up with live rock and water. I checked my offering plan from the condo board and it only tells me that the floors are made out of wood. I'm sure it should hold but just want to make sure, it wouldn't be funny to have my tank end up downstairs in my neighboors room!

If anyone has any info i would appreciated it!

-Steven

[ August 13, 2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: heuerfan ]

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i have my 75 with 30 gallon sump setup on the second floor, with no problems, just set the tank up so its running perpendicular to teh floor joists so it spreads teh weight out onto 2 or 3 of them. IT would be liek a big fat dude standing in your room 250-300 pounds on each joist is nothing

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up my 72gal and had the same thought, I am setting mine up along the outside wall of the building, which is a load bearing structure. I feel a bit better that it is along the supporting wall and not along a cosmetic/drywall (non supporting) wall.

My floorboards are warped a little, and have a slight slope to them, so I placed my whole setup on a sheet of thin particleboard with some shims. The idea being it spreads the weight out a bit more evenly instead of creating pressure points where the stand comes in contact with the floor.

$0.02

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: