doma25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this on the center brace. I am not sure if i did it biaccedent while siphoning and pulling on the hose or if it has been there for a while and I just noticed it for the first time

Attachments

• IMG_5503.jpg
    IMG_5503.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 316

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
The tank is clearly bowing out and the center brace isn't able to hold it anymore. As the pressure continues, eventually the glass will keep bowing further until the glass snaps and you'll have 150g of water on the floor. I worked in a LFS a long time ago and saw it happen over time (probably over the course of a year)

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
yeah, if im looking at what i think im looking at which is that the glass is pushing out further than the dimension that the center brace originally kept the glass at, then you need to take care of that asap.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The tank is clearly bowing out and the center brace isn't able to hold it anymore. As the pressure continues, eventually the glass will keep bowing further until the glass snaps and you'll have 150g of water on the floor. I worked in a LFS a long time ago and saw it happen over time (probably over the course of a year)

^^^ this

If the bracing is already compromised and the bowing is as apparent as the picture depicts, your answer is obvious. The tank is at serious risk of imminent failure.

I would be replacing the tank asap, or at a bare minimum, the top bracing immediately.

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's definitely a big deal. There was a thread a few years back with someone that had the same thing happen. They reinforced it with some sort of brace. Same thing happened to my AGA 72g bowfront. I quickly brought a new 90 gal and swapped it.

doma25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update

The tank was brand new when i bought it only 1.5 years ago. I spoke with marineland and we are working through it. I think i will be getting a new tank delivered.

That picture may actually make it seem worse than it is. I have attached a couple of more pictures. I measured the tank and it is level and no noticeable bowing other than just the center brace issue.

Attachments

• IMG_5514 (1).jpg
    IMG_5514 (1).jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 80
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5508.jpg
    IMG_5508.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 80

Aquadicted

Bill Goody Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
The tank was brand new when i bought it only 1.5 years ago. I spoke with marineland and we are working through it. I think i will be getting a new tank delivered.

That picture may actually make it seem worse than it is. I have attached a couple of more pictures. I measured the tank and it is level and no noticeable bowing other than just the center brace issue.

I will say a prayer for your aquarium every night :usa1:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You might want to put a clamp on that, dont tighten it though. Id measure the dimensions at the sides and see how far off the middle is just to get an idea of how much its flexing.

I would do this and also remove some of the water from the tank, that way you'll take some of the pressure off of the seams until you get a new tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: