edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i would reseal then entire tank, silicone will not adhere to dry silicone.
move the tank to where you have access al around, no need for help after you move it.
scrape out all old silicone, bottom and sides. vacume, clean with solvent, i would start with bottom then the sides. run a bead tight int the seam then smooth out access with your finger. i have done a 50 breeder and a 30, not difficult at all just time consuming. not worth paying someone imo. i used ge typ 1 has no anti mildew in it. buy 3-4 tubes, once you start you have to finish, then return the rest. good luck

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Thanks edd. One thing that has me confused is that there is 2 groups of silicone. The silicone that holds the panels together and the finsl stage of silicone which is the one your refering too. This seals the tank.

So my question is if water made it to floor doesnt that mean that both the seal silicone and the silicone that hold the panels together have been compromised.

So if i just reseal the inside without removing the panels is it okay to leave the silicone that holds the tank together intact even though we know that silicone bead has holes in it?

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks edd. One thing that has me confused is that there is 2 groups of silicone. The silicone that holds the panels together and the finsl stage of silicone which is the one your refering too. This seals the tank.

So my question is if water made it to floor doesnt that mean that both the seal silicone and the silicone that hold the panels together have been compromised.

So if i just reseal the inside without removing the panels is it okay to leave the silicone that holds the tank together intact even though we know that silicone bead has holes in it?

no need to remove the panels, the inside bead that you cut out will seal it.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
uploadfromtaptalk1439589037909.jpguploadfromtaptalk1439589061080.jpguploadfromtaptalk1439589079519.jpg

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Let me explain these pics. This tank has a inner bottom brace made of glass. The whole bottom perimeter is braced with half inch glass.

The tank leaked from the front bottom joint. Its kinda hard to reseal with that front brace there.

As u can see sand seeped in between front glass and bottom brace. You can see in some pics how between the brace and front glass is clean. And in some sand has penetrated.

Im not sure if i have to rip these bottom brace off. Then reapply with silicone. Then reseal. Im assuming i have to get every last grain of sand out from between the brace and front panel.

Sand has no seeped in anywhere other than this front section. Seems as if the silicon kept sand out everywhere else except this lower front section.

sealtea116

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
It could be leaking where the sand got into u could I try a power washer in hopes to get the sand out without getting the whole seal out but u may want to be save then sorry and just do they whole part so u have peace of mind

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think you need to remove the bracing and then reseal the tank and put the bracing back in. From the look you probably cant' get the silicone out without removing the brace. I would call the manufacture of the tank and ask them. I also think the elos tanks are made this way, so contacting them too.

Last edited:

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i think the only way to do it right, is to remove the brace, scrape both sides clean, silicone it and install bracing at the same time so it dries all one piece.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: