Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I am about to do an upgrade to a 220 and I am thinking of going bare bottom. What is your experience with bare bottom and wrasses.

I had a temenikki wrasse that slept in crevices of rocks and I have a melanarus that is always under the sand.

Feedback appreciated as I like wrasses and also like how a bare bottom looks.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
i have had a few wrasses with bare bottom setup. had melanarus that slep in a barnacle cluster, coris that did the rock thing, and orange back that also slept in rock crevice. are you going to put anything on the glass to protect from rock colapse? i didnt at first and then added a pvc sheet under the rocks just a thought
the home depot by me sells starboard now in sheets i have only seen white though

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Yeah I was thinking about the bottom, I think I may just go with the glass bottom, I plan on doing the rock work out of the tank for the most part - drilling and rods - etc. I have seen a few tanks lately bare bottom and like the look. I was more concerned about the wrasses. I will look into a wrasse den.

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hi
I have a bare bottom SPS tank. I painted the bottom white and use a quart container of sand in the back corner out of sight for my wrasses. My melanurus, grey head and leopard wrasse sleep in there every night. Any sand that come's out can be siphoned out when you do a water change. It really works well

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I got 220 Gal. i still have only 2 Wrasses, one purple and one cleaning, i use to have 5, one decide to jump (when i got 150 gal.) one yellow and one black die 2-3 years ago (ick) i stop buying fish, i have to remove everything (2 times) to treat w/copper, the black one use to sleep in empty (coco) shell. I have also some kind of Mandarin, he love to go around co-pods. My bottom of the tank have zero grams of any kind of Detritus, may look better w/sand, but sand i consider "Luxury" need constant clean. I got some Yellow sponge grow like Lava right in the bottom of tank, i love to have Duster fathers ,sponges.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1286.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1287.jpg
    IMG_1287.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_1288.jpg
    IMG_1288.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_1289.jpg
    IMG_1289.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_1290.jpg
    IMG_1290.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 315

BKLYN REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
i like the idea of a wrasse den and may have to drill some large holes in a piece of rock because i really want a male Flame wrasse. this will be my last fish in my bare bottom.

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Vio - nice - Mike yes I have seen those. I may play around with some small rubble rock I have and see what I can build. The upgrade will be a process. My Sump room was built to handle it and I have the tank and lights. Still need a stand. Looking at a few options but may just build it. I am leading to doing bare bottom rather than a sand bed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: