BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Question, my research has been telling me not to run gfo if ive got a tank (80 gal) if i've got sps in there and to be careful with activated Carbon,, yet other research tells me Carbon is good for the health of my fishies... what are people with mixed reef with fish having luck with?

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I have 65g mix reef and run a mix of carbon and GFO in a single BRS reactor.
Carbon is needed in a mix reef to remove all the chemicals that LPS releases. LPS engage in chemical warfare (allelopathy), which can stunt or prevent the growth of neighboring corals.
Carbon doesn't affect fish that much. I say that because others argue that too much use of it can cause head and lateral line disease, especially in Tangs. I don't have tangs, so I never saw this happening.

And I think GFO is a must. Except if you have a large enough refugium with macro algae to export nutrients.

Last edited:

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
As far as Activated Carbon, I think should be run in a mixed reef, keeps coral chemical warfare to a minimum, as far as the side effects caused to fish, I believe this was due to improper rinsing and overdose of.

GFO should be based upon PO4, I currently do not run GFO, as I don't have phosphate issues. Now there are many threads on the SPS effects of overdose of, and not using correctly.

As anything we do, research and do it slowly & correctly when necessary you should be good.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Well, here's my opinion, based on what I searched for over time. Its going to contradict the previous comments somewhat. LOL
There is no risk to using carbon at all in any quantity (you can't overdose you can use a spoonful or a bucketful per gallon, just need to be practical). Once its saturated, it is inert. It keeps the water nice and clean and its not too expensive, once saturated, bacterial grown on it is pretty good. Carbon is used in tertiary water treatment systems to make water drinkable, including your britta pitcher and municipal water treatment supply. There should be no negative consequences of using carbon. This part would be a fact, but I'm not providing any references to it or going to back up my claim whatsoever as this should be common knowledge. (I do have a masters in environmental science, focusing on sewage treatment. What can I say, dirty water goes in, clean water comes out)

GFO I feel is optional and I use it as a boost to reduce PO4 levels when levels go high towards 1 or 2 ppm due to whatever reason, otherwise I don't use it and rely on my algae scrubber/refugium to export phosphates. GFO is more expensive for me so I balance it out and keep my PO4 levels around 0.5 ppm. If it was cheap, I'd keep levels at 0. This part is my opinion and personal preference.

Last edited:

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Well, here's my opinion, based on what I searched for over time. Its going to contradict the previous comments somewhat. LOL
There is no risk to using carbon at all in any quantity (you can't overdose you can use a spoonful or a bucketful per gallon, just need to be practical). Once its saturated, it is inert. It keeps the water nice and clean and its not too expensive, once saturated, bacterial grown on it is pretty good. Carbon is used in tertiary water treatment systems to make water drinkable, including your britta pitcher and municipal water treatment supply. There should be no negative consequences of using carbon. This part would be a fact, but I'm not providing any references to it or going to back up my claim whatsoever.
GFO I feel is optional and I use it as a boost to reduce PO4 levels when levels go high towards 1 or 2 ppm due to whatever reason, otherwise I don't use it and rely on my algae scrubber/refugium to export phosphates. GFO is more expensive for me so I balance it out and keep my PO4 levels around 0.5 ppm. If it was cheap, I'd keep levels at 0. This part is my opinion and personal preference.

Correct; I misplaced the overdose of... I meant it for GFO, cut and paste error.

I was trying to refer to l&l disease when not rinsing GAC...I don't have first hand experience with though

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: