tnc112105

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Last week I lost my favorite fish, a blue spot jawfish named Spot.

He was an impulse buy at my LFS but I very quickly fell in love with his character and personality. He had what I can best describe as gas bubble disease. It looked like large pockets of air or fluid under the skin that formed large lesions. No other fish I've kept in the 6 years I've been in this hobby have ever been affected by it, so I imagine that it's a disease that jawfish are susceptible to, and I doubt it is contagious. He had the same kind of thing once before and recovered from it, only this time he wasn't as lucky. I had him for a year and half.

I really want another jawfish, but I now know that their care requirements call for a cooler tank than what I think I can provide, especially in NY summers. I try to keep my tank at 78 but sometimes it does get warmer.

I was wondering in your opinion what the most personable fish are. They would have to be reef safe, and not outgrow a 55G established reef tank. I already have a ocellaris clownfish, a 6 line wrasse and yellow tang. They're all pretty in their own right, but not personable. I'd really like to get another fish with a lot of character and I'm looking for suggestions. What do you guys think?

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Easily the best, most, pet-like behavior comes from cowfish, puffers and other similar, slow moving species. They follow you around, come to you for food, easily trainable to swim into your hand to eat (or swim into a isolation box for feeding and not be afraid of you). Sadly, my long horn cow fish died last year when I accidentally left him in the isolation box over night and forgot to let him out after dinner. Anyway, I've replaced him with a spiny box fish.

Aquadicted

Bill Goody Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
Easily the best, most, pet-like behavior comes from cowfish, puffers and other similar, slow moving species. They follow you around, come to you for food, easily trainable to swim into your hand to eat (or swim into a isolation box for feeding and not be afraid of you). Sadly, my long horn cow fish died last year when I accidentally left him in the isolation box over night and forgot to let him out after dinner. Anyway, I've replaced him with a spiny box fish.

that must've been an awful morning

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: