i have some weird bubbles with some hair type string on some of my liverock. It's only on the end with no powerhead. Idk if its cyano or some other type of bacteria. Lately I've been running my lights extra late so idk. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 255

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
i have a bit of cyno too, what i have been doing is siphoning out water from my display into my sump and i have a filter sock catching all the cyno. its annoying but no chemicals in the tank. Also, shorten the amount of light for a while and don't feed for a few days, maybe 4-5 days (they can go a while without food)

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
The 3 day blackout works perfectly, if a nutrient problem is corrected beforehand. Once cyano takes ahold in system it can be difficult to remove simply by reducing nutrients. The blackout will kill most of it off and allow you to remain ahead of the fight. The same can be said for special blend. The only time that I've seen either fail is when the tank had lots of stored wastes.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not totally agree on above statement. Every system is different. I have done lights out added 3 bottles of SB. To know help at all. It depends on if it's a new system or system that running 4 yrs and plus. It can be a nutrient problem or a bacteria problem. Maybe both. Here are a few things that might help your system. Remember what type fits you better might work better. A new set up might fit with the lights out and adding bacteria. Like Jachson 6745 said. Simply your system doesn't have enough bacteria established. But an older system that been running which is established it might not work.
Reason
1. LR might be holding phosphate and Nutrients.
2. Sand bed can be holding Nitrates and phosphate.
3. Protein skimmer can be removing good bacteria more than you want.
I simply fix can be cut back on your skimmer during day. So it's not over skimming. Today these skimmers are more powerful. You want to leave skimmer on at night which will help kept your Ph up. This will help balance bacteria that PS is removing.
I notice a few people that used live sand had this problem after 3 yrs.
Also siphon as much of cyano. And if that doesn't work start removing sand and you will see cyano disappear.
Adding bacteria might work if your lacking bacteria to help balance bacteria to fight off cyano. If your nutrients are feeding cyano you what to cut back your feeding dry food and frozen food. Also some systems by doing water changes can help or make it worst.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
piranhapat, I didn't elaborate on what I meant by nutrient issues, But I agree with 1+2 and cyano in a new system that is bacterially unstable + old systems that are bound with organics.

I question #3. Can you specifically say with experience that strong skimming removes good bacteria which leads to cyano? I never heard of anyone getting rid of cyano by reducing skimming. Just want to know is this is something that you read or experience. IMO part of any real success in this hobby includes reading through ego, speculation, and agendas. It always comes down to real experience + observation to find real answers.

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Rich, I got that information from Dr. Tim's at the Reef Palooza. Also spoke to Jake Adams. That is what I was told. That skimmer's are removing waste and with that waste is also removing good bacterica that off balancing bad bacteria. It made sense when they told me. But made more sense when I dial down PR for a few weeks. Noticed cyano gone right away. It worked on my problem which I tried everything for over 6 months. It might work for others. That is why I put that out there. Other stuff I tried would only come back.
Either it's good bacteria or some kind of oraganics that we can't test that's getting taken out of PS.
P.s would add my PS is over sized for my tank.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: