ReefMadman

Evil Jedi Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I woke up this morning and my pink mille frag was missing half of its skin....all my other sps are doing great...this frag was dipped in coral rx b4 it went in the tank and has been in the tank for 2 weeks.
Parameters are stabile and right on point....i did add a fuge with pods on tues....so im guessing the pods ate the dead tissue....just trying to figure out what happened.

ReefMadman

Evil Jedi Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Parameters are
Cal 450
Alk 10.9
Mag 1350
Ph constant 8.0
Sg 1.026
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
Po4 0

Could the alk be a little high maybe?
All the skin is almost gone...probably gonna lose this one...all other sps, lps and softies are thriving...full polyp extension....i feed reef chile mixed with oyster feast once a week

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Damn 10.9? I keep mine at 8.5 and think it's high. Some people say high alk is better for sps, some say it's worse. I think any sudden change is a huge deal when you have sps. I lost my milles when I did my tank transfer. Every sps survived except them.

petraio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
rtn nothing you can do if there is some of the coral that looks in good condition just cut the coral !! try to save !! it could work but anyone with sps experience will tell you it might not work all the times !! good luck just don't wait and don't cut to close the the infected area!!

ReefMadman

Evil Jedi Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well...here's a little update....ive now lost 5 acro frags to RTN
pink mille
Ora hawkin enchinata
Tyree mother of pearl
Tyree red dragon
Ora chips acro
And raspberry acro
Something has my tank outta wack...my ph has dropped to 7.8 and stayed there...got an ammonia spike...dont know why...

My monti caps and digis are fine, and my ponape birdsnest is fine...i have 6 acro frags left.
Ora frogskin
Green stag
Miyagi tort
Oregon tort
Cali tort
And ora ant insignis

These frags still look healthy and colorful....im keepin my fingers crossed

ReefMadman

Evil Jedi Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Alright....after doing a lot of research and reading....i think i figured out what happened.
First off lemme say it was all my fault...lol.
After running all of my test, it seems that my tank is going through a cycle again...i was running 2.5lbs of live rock rubble along with the stock black biocube sponge and an additional black sponge in the sump section of the tank. I recently(a week ago) added a fuge basket and media basket while removing the rock rubble and tossing the 2 original black sponges. I replaced the sponges with filter floss, so im assuming i inadvertantly removed a lot of the nitrifying bacteria that was present.
My 2 clownfish and 1 chromis are definitely stressed and now that im really looking at things my lps and softies are stressed as well...i added some of that startup bacteria, so we shall see what we shall see.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: