autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
wassup guys....i was looking into a MH fixture.....but i came across a aquamedic oceanlight t-5 ho with 6 39w bulbs for a good price.....im setting up a new 50 breeder and would like to keep a coouple of sps/lps....anyone have experience with this fixture.....and most importantly ..will it have enough intensity for easier to keep sps's?
i wanted the sunpod 36" 2-150w fixture...but i know theres might be a issue with heat....from my knowlwdge flourescent bulbs throw out less heat or is it about the same?

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/itemdetail.asp?itemid=LT-AB75155

thanks for any info!

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Lighiting would be fine but keep your water quality pristene. Phosphates must be very low if you expect to get decent colors from your SPS. You will also want to keep the water clear so the light can penetrate.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I have a 36" sunpod on a 58 gallon tank and I have NO issues whatsoever with heat. I used to run a four bulb icecap retrofit and I like the sunpod MUCH better. Also in my experience and from what I've read, even a normally driven HO T5 will experience shortened life, lower par and some degree of color wandering without fans blowing over the bulbs. While T5s don't put off the heat that halides will they themselves get VERY hot and unlike halides they don't handle that heat as well. You want to keep T5 bulbs very well ventilated and I'm not sure how well the fixture you linked to does that. Your fixture also does not seem to use waterproof endcaps which can be a PIA unless your tank has Eurobracing.

Last edited:

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
cool.....i will be using r/o water for water changes and top-offs.....it should help with the phosphate removal....i will test water as the tank moves along... and see from there....
anyone got pics of these fixtures in action....?
also would u guys still prefer the sunpod 36" 300w or the aquamedic t5's?
whats the pro's and con's of the 2?

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
cool.....i will be using r/o water for water changes and top-offs.....it should help with the phosphate removal....i will test water as the tank moves along... and see from there....
anyone got pics of these fixtures in action....?
also would u guys still prefer the sunpod 36" 300w or the aquamedic t5's?
whats the pro's and con's of the 2?

My gallery and tank thread has pics of the sunpod in action. I would choose it over T5s any day but that's me. I would also recommend a phosphate reactor. Phosphates get into your tank through many many ways, not just via unfiltered tap water.

autoponicz