Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Quite possibly I could be the worst reef keeper on MR. Yes, I said it! I've had a good life, in my mid fifties and so be it! I have had a 29 gal bio cube since March of 2014 and still cannot grow out corals! soooo many ups and downs.......but hanging in until I get it right! It is interesting to watch the cyano smothering the bubble algae!

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Yes, do...not in about 3 weeks.....did have a prob with a phos and nitrate spike about 3 mos ago....got better but have to retest all again to post #'s. LFS is just rodi and I am using red sea pro. Sometimes Nutri Seawater.

rcdude1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Livestock and lighting and equipment list would help others figure something out
In my 125 I use to have zoas but after a few weeks I noticed they stopped opening... Turns out my fox face was nipping and eating them.

The more info the better (y)

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Quite possibly I could be the worst reef keeper on MR. Yes, I said it! I've had a good life, in my mid fifties and so be it! I have had a 29 gal bio cube since March of 2014 and still cannot grow out corals! soooo many ups and downs.......but hanging in until I get it right! It is interesting to watch the cyano smothering the bubble algae!

I'm sure others have had struggles too... Your just willing to admit for sale of getting it right. Post some info and I'm sure you will get solid advice... Possibly too much all said and done: good luck

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Yeah def need to give us some numbers to help u out .water changes ,keep alk ,cal,mag steady, keep nitrates and phosphates low, good flow .must use r/o water for everything ,rinse out the frozen food if thats what ur using .and test alot .carbon and gfo will help u also

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Ok, here are the numbers:

PH: 8.0 API
Ammonia: 0.00 API
Nitrates: 80 ppm API
Nitrite: 0.00 PPM API
Phos: 0.00 Hanna - was thrilled to see this....have struggled with this being high for a while
Alk: 114 CaCO3 = 6.384 DKH Hanna
Calcium: 504 Hanna
Mag 1500 Red Sea
Salinity 35ppt
Temp 76-78

For salt using red sea pro....once in a while I use NutriS eawater. I avg water changes about once every 2 - 3 weeks 5 gals at a time.

Tank: 29 gal biocube AIO
Light: Kessil A350W Tuna Blue no controller version
Skimmer: Tunze DOC 9001
Power head: Tunze nano version size forget the actual model
InTank media basket: top shelf fluval polishing pad, middle self sachem de nitrate, bottom shelf chemblue elite

I just go an eshopps sump, and have ordered their skimmer , overflow box and for first time will set up a sump/refugium

I think what has been happening is I am inconsistent with topping off, causing fluctuations and lighting recently I have set for the mornings for about 4 hrs, then turn them on when I come from work adding another 4-6 hrs more if I fall asleep. I will be making adjustments makin add some 5's too and controllability.

Nitrates has been tough for me......no matter what I cannot get them dwon in the last 6 mos.

I do have a glasss cover which seems to cause a lower of PH from time to time. If I eep off I have a lot of evaporation.

I am finally learning the importance of topping off consistently to avoid the swings, I will most likely order a Tunze top off.

I have a pair of clowns, 6 line wrasse, a bi color blenny
Have a toadstool some zoas, mushrooms, birdsnest . But corals do not grow well.

Right now tank has a bubble algae and cyano prob. Had this before and can clean it up. I ordered a reef cleaning crew for reecleaners do in any day to help.

I think that's covers most...thanks
Snandbed approx. 1/2 or less

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Ok, here are the numbers:

PH: 8.0 API
Ammonia: 0.00 API
Nitrates: 80 ppm API
Nitrite: 0.00 PPM API
Phos: 0.00 Hanna - was thrilled to see this....have struggled with this being high for a while
Alk: 114 CaCO3 = 6.384 DKH Hanna
Calcium: 504 Hanna
Mag 1500 Red Sea
Salinity 35ppt
Temp 76-78

For salt using red sea pro....once in a while I use NutriS eawater. I avg water changes about once every 2 - 3 weeks 5 gals at a time.

Tank: 29 gal biocube AIO
Light: Kessil A350W Tuna Blue no controller version
Skimmer: Tunze DOC 9001
Power head: Tunze nano version size forget the actual model
InTank media basket: top shelf fluval polishing pad, middle self sachem de nitrate, bottom shelf chemblue elite

I just go an eshopps sump, and have ordered their skimmer , overflow box and for first time will set up a sump/refugium

I think what has been happening is I am inconsistent with topping off, causing fluctuations and lighting recently I have set for the mornings for about 4 hrs, then turn them on when I come from work adding another 4-6 hrs more if I fall asleep. I will be making adjustments makin add some 5's too and controllability.

Nitrates has been tough for me......no matter what I cannot get them dwon in the last 6 mos.

I do have a glasss cover which seems to cause a lower of PH from time to time. If I eep off I have a lot of evaporation.

I am finally learning the importance of topping off consistently to avoid the swings, I will most likely order a Tunze top off.

I have a pair of clowns, 6 line wrasse, a bi color blenny
Have a toadstool some zoas, mushrooms, birdsnest . But corals do not grow well.

Right now tank has a bubble algae and cyano prob. Had this before and can clean it up. I ordered a reef cleaning crew for reecleaners do in any day to help.

I think that's covers most...thanks
Snandbed approx. 1/2 or less

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
So if it was me with ur numbers i would het my alk to calcium balanced .looks like cal needs to come down and alk needs to go up ,also nitrates need to be dropped ,do u have alot of fish in the tank?also always rinse the frozen food u wouldnt belive how much nitrate and phosphate they have in them .dont blame ur light kessil is a great easy to use light i ha e 8 of them

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I use LRS almost exclusively. .... I feed about a half square to 3/4 inch square....might be too much. I also have a 3 inch red Japanese snapping shrimp that needs some food. If not the LRS,then SA pellets and occasionally a piece of fried seaweed from Julian Sprung. Knowing I have a nitrate prob, I feed once a day or once every 2 days.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: