theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Oh, so sorta like one of your hatcheries but for ideas.
You did say you saw the vid and didn't believe it. Even tho there's proof, and a it's budget public knowledge. Not aware if any money is coming from governments.....

Here's one that is 35 governments funded. Probably the biggest scientific project ever, which brings within reach the possibly of the biggest scientific breakthrough ever
https://www.iter.org/

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The research cost will be big, to get it dialed in to the point of usefulness. Once that's done it will cost less, much less, and can use radioactive waste as fuel.
Think about how cities where needed as manufacturing centers, then the Information Age and transportation made that much less so. The wright brother flew a couple of feet across a field. A relatively short time later we have satellites all over space. Not that long ago a large part of the population worked on feeding people through farming and whatnot. Now it's a fraction of people that's needed to feed everyone. Which leaves people with a lot more time to do other things. That leads to many more inventions and discoveries, which in turn more time and effort to discover more, and on and on. Makes you wonder what all these people are going to do.
Then add human nature. The way we can convince ourselves it's ok to hurt and take from others if it's thought it will help or provide for the ones we love. Or our ability to simply ignore those acts. With big money and media keeping people occupied enough that we don't realize we're being dumbed down and controlled while being sold the idea that we're free. We spend much effort on keeping people alive longer and longer. Pretty much everyone wants a family and a big house......how does that work? People have an amazing ability to accept or ignore parts of reality that make us believe everything is going to be alright. That gets tied into religious beliefs and whatever.
One of my favorite examples of the above gabla goo is global warming. I dare you to get me started on that one

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I love it. I myself have two US Patents and am working on another one. I have also been working on a motor that is powered by the heat of the sun and gravity. I have been fooling around with this for years and now the thing works in my head so I just need to build a model.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
While electric cars are probably a step in the right direction....Say probably because with most electric production being produced by fossil fuels and other means that produce pollution, and the spent batteries hazardous and a problem for the future...
We need great minds that aren't thinking about selfish profits. The problem i see with that is if a cheap way of making power with little eco impact is made available, that would level the playing field, and we can't have that

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yes I know, it's an old thread. It is early and I am waiting for my wife to get up so I will make breakfast for her and our best friend neighbors who we have been friends with for almost fifty years.

I moved my tank, and us 60 miles 3 months ago and followed my out of the box theories. I left my very old, scratched tank in the old house ,( the new people want Koi) and I bought a new 125 gallon tank for here. I transferred everything including the gravel and water and put it in my new home.

I had to add a lot of NSW because much of my old water was just mud from removing the 40+ year old reverse UG filter.

The tank went from 160 nitrates to about zero. There was almost no light, UG filter, gravel for a couple of weeks, the water was not filled up, half the rock was not in, no skimmer and the temperature was all over the place because I only had one 15 amp outlet to run the entire tank.

After a couple of weeks algae grew on everything and killed the tips on some of the coral. I took my own advice and didn't change water or add anything.
Eventually I put on the lights, heaters and circulation pumps but still don't have a sump or hydrometer.

After about 10 weeks the algae started to die off and now it is just about gone. I still have not changed the water and won't for a few more weeks.

The fish are again spawning and the corals look better than ever. I have not even dosed anything yet.

This tank is totally outside the box but every fish made the move perfectly and I have added about 4 or 5 more since I got here. Of course no quarantine and I expect the fish will all live to die of old age as they are not allowed to get sick and never will.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: