theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yup^
Or copperband, or file fish. Also had a potters who eat em all up. Have not had luck with peppermint shrimp eating them, thou many have

they get into plumbing, rocks, all sortsa hard to reach places.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It's a 75 display 75 gal sump bout 60-80 pounds rock running for 4-5 years bout 5-6 small fish yellow tang is the biggest at maybe 3inches.. If I have to break it down piece by piece n boil rock it's all over for me so deff wanna try get some things that eat it.. Next question is does anyone know where I could find the berghia nudibranch around Staten Island or somewhere close to me and how many should I get? Thanks for the help guys really don't wanna lose the tank

zenfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not keep on using the kaLK injection method and also add about 12-24 peppermint shrimp.

It's going to take more then one method to remove a huge apTasia infestation. YOU R GONNA HAVE TO TRY MANY DIFFERENT THINGS AT ONCE. sorry for caps.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have a coperband butterfly, haven't seen one since. That's the only method i used. Two-3 weeks after i put him in, all gone. Couldn't do shrimp or nudibranch with my wrasse. Didn't want a file fish cause they'r ugly. Copperband eats frozen clam, mysis, and just about anything except pellets, and has left all corals alone so far. Been about a year, he's 4-5 inches. He was eating at the store so i bought it. The aptasia was multiplying quickly, now it's been gone from anywhere i can see.
The kalk method alone will never do it.
12-24 peppermint shrimp at 8 bucks a pop won't be cheap, and they'll likely wipe out your snail population too.

Last edited:

zenfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coperband butterfly, haven't seen one since. That's the only method i used. Two-3 weeks after i put him in, all gone. Couldn't do shrimp or nudibranch with my wrasse. Didn't want a file fish cause they'r ugly. Copperband eats frozen clam, mysis, and just about anything except pellets, and has left all corals alone so far. Been about a year, he's 4-5 inches. He was eating at the store so i bought it. The aptasia was multiplying quickly, now it's been gone from anywhere i can see.
The kalk method alone will never do it.
12-24 peppermint shrimp at 8 bucks a pop won't be cheap, and they'll likely wipe out your snail population too.

Ive never heard peppermints eating snails, but Im sure that's possible. as far as $$$ is concerned for peppermint shrimp, it's not exactly an inexpensive hobby regardless. if someone cannot more or less completely fulfill their obligations as a aquarist because of money, I'd switch to freshwater. It's easier for the beginners too. :scratch:

hard to reach places will be hard to reach for the butterfly

again, there is no easy solution, I'd suggest trying different things.

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I've tried the aptaisa x, kalk, nude branch peppermint shrimp, the only real success I've had was with a file fish. We think its cute, my wife name it Philomina. With in 3 weeks my infestation was gone, haven't seen one since.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ive never heard peppermints eating snails, but Im sure that's possible. as far as $$$ is concerned for peppermint shrimp, it's not exactly an inexpensive hobby regardless. if someone cannot more or less completely fulfill their obligations as a aquarist because of money, I'd switch to freshwater. It's easier for the beginners too. :scratch:

hard to reach places will be hard to reach for the butterfly

again, there is no easy solution, I'd suggest trying different things.
Putting one or two dozen peppermint shrimp in is what a fish store owner would say. Hey, wait.
Besides, have heard more disappointment stories of peppermints that didn't touch aptasia, than success stories by far. But hey, it's an expensive hobby right

zenfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting one or two dozen peppermint shrimp in is what a fish store owner would say. Hey, wait.
Besides, have heard more disappointment stories of peppermints that didn't touch aptasia, than success stories by far. But hey, it's an expensive hobby right

well, having been doing this since 1989-1990, starting at New York Aquarium & Pet Supply, so in 25-30 years of being in this aquarium business I have heard it ALL. If you don't agree with the peppermint shrimp idea and think to call me out on something I am openly admitting, that's your prerogative. I've never tried to be a stealth vendor here so... OH WAIT!

the correct answer to this question, if there is even a correct one, is try try try. Various methods.

a pet store owner might say "buy Joe's Juice! Aptasia X! whatever we have in stock."

I'm just trying to be a decent forum member.

good luck with the aptasia, OP.

Last edited:

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Does it mess with Zoas? Does it eat dried foods?
Yes, it eats pellets and mysis. I have button polyps that she doesn't bother with. Regarding zoa's, the aptasia wrecked havoc on them so I don't have any left. Couldn't confirm if it was the file fish or aptasia that killed them... For a period I had more aptasia than corals...I'm preparing for an upgrade so I haven't added anything in a while... She was happier with the aptasia though

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: