Frank@Wall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
Hey guys...
I will be setting up a new tank which will be 300 gals with a sump of 140gals.
I wanna know which in-sump skimmer you guys would recommend or are using on your large tanks.
What would be your budget skimmer, a medium priced and a top of the line.
I have a few in mind...
AquaMaxx cone 6, Vertex Alpha 250, SRO 5000, RO regal 300, Nyos Quantum 300, Skimz Leopard 253, Supermarin 200

Let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yes.
The Vertex is quieter, and more adjustable. Takes longer to dial it in but once dialed in it's very stable.
Ro regal 300int is by far the best bang for the buck you will find. Pretty easy to dial in but a bit more finicky than the vertex. It is louder but that's because it's sucking in major air and will imo pull more crap out of your tank. The noise can be greatly reduced by running the air intake hose from outside, or ....

NYCEnglish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have a smaller Regal (150) and I love it. It was super easy to et up and dialed in very quickly. RO support is very responsive, just send them a message on their forum and you get a response in minutes.

Also, the Apex controllability is awesome.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Scrubber and skimmer is the way to go

If i turn off my scrubber for a few days-week my skimmer doesn't do much more. But if i turn off my skimmer the scrubber grows much more, much faster.

For those only running fuge or scrubber as a means of nutrient export...keep an eye on minerals like magnesium and iodine that algea consume

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Haven't done a water change in 10 months,no need yet.

Btw op, imo and ime a hob or external skimmer is a flood waiting to happen

Skimmer takes out foods, proteins and fats before they enter the nitrogen cycle. Removing them completely from the process.
A scrubber removes the nutrients once they have broken down, so different.
They both add lots of aeration, and a scrubber removes more nitrates than anything else.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: