fishman7789

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hi all,
I've been a member here for several years now and am looking for some guidance/advice on a new tank build. i originally got into reefing with a 72 bow and upgraded to a 120 several years ago.and had a very successful tank for quite some time. i ended up moving from where i was and leaving the 120 to my younger brother. i have recently purchased my own home and am looking to get back into the reefing world. I'm considering either a 180 or 220 tank, but have some questions.
the home i have purchased has a crawl space with 2x10's for floor joists spaced at 16'". the way i would like to set up the tank would be perpendicular to the joists. my question is what size tank can i safely put without having to modify/reinforce the joists? I'm thinking a 72" tank in either 180 or 220 gallons. the larger the better i would really like to go as big as possible but do not want to jeopardize the integrity of my floor.
also where do you guys recommend as far as making a tank purchase? I'm in suffolk county ny. my last two tanks were purchased from aquarium village with good success but i have been out of the tank game for some time and its possible things may have changed.
this will be a build over serval months as i will have to buy items over time but if you guys have any product recommendations as far as lighting/skimmers/sumps/pumps and or tanks i would appreciate the help.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Welcome back,
The floor will hold the weight but could bounce when you walk past. Placing the tank against a wall will help, an outside wall better. Same thing with placing it in a corner, good, outside corner best. I would, for piece of mind, put a couple of supports down to the ground inside the crawl space. And/or double up some joists with plywood sandwiched between. Would also look to run a dedicated line or two that's gfci protected.
A 220 will obviously offer more space and water volume, but it can be a pain to get down to the bottom to clean and .....
Would recommend you build your own, large, and well thought out sump/refugium, unless you'r going biopellet route. I have a 220 with 55 gal fuge, 40 gal sump, algae scrubber, and slightly undersized skimmer. I run no socks, carbon, or gfo, and it's going on 10 months with no need for a water change on my heavily stocked well fed tank. If going biopellets route, or some other form of carbon dosing, get a big @ss skimmer and make sure it's plumbed from biopellets, into skimmer.
Aquarium village still makes some good deals, and a few blocks away at pets warehouse has prob the best prices on tanks themselves.

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
180, the 220 is too high for most people at 30" and would possibly be a pain for maintenance or when you drop something. Unless you are taller with long arms I wouldn't do it.

fishman7789

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
thank you guys for the information. i didn't realize how tall the 220 was until you guys mentioned it. probably going to be pulling the trigger on a 180 in the next few days. stand by for the build thread

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: