D

DEEPWATER

Yesterday i was washing my filter socks in the laundry room.got around thinking about other soaps ,clorox ,softner and other products that ppl may have used before hand ,I mean i do live in a build with 140 apt .Plus im sure no one here has their own wash machine just for filter socks.

So my question is .does any of the products mentioned above ,harm/ affect or go on the filter socks >

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!

Ronen

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ronen,

Don't know if this helps but...

In my line of work we get assaulted from a barrage of chemicals like asbestos, lead, silica, benzene and a bunch of other goodies. It had often come up in discussion among the men about where to wash their work clothes. At the time mostly everyone said to bring it to the laundromat. Then we worked with an old time Health & Safety Instructor, when the subject came up again, he simply asked," If your washing sh*t that f*cked in the laundromat, what do you think the person before you washed in that machine?" He then when on to explain that if you should use your own machine at home (if you had one) and that after you did the load run an empty cycle w/ bleach.

So I guess if your concerned I would run the machine empty first just to clean out any nasties that were in there and then clean the socks.

Also if you live in a building with courteous people make sure you run a load after the you wash the socks.

Steven

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
Ronen,

He then when on to explain that if you should use your own machine at home (if you had one) and that after you did the load run an empty cycle w/ bleach.

Steven
this is exactly what i do at my house. what a coincidence i was just taking down 40 filter socks of the clothe line when i saw this post

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I use my home machine and never prewash or post wash the machine.

In our house, we use ALL Free and Downy softener in the washing machine AND I use Oxyclean to wash my filter socks with. I DO run a second rinse cycle while washing the socks just to make sure I get all the oxyclean out, though.

HTH

House

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Does anyone know if NY State regulates what types of laundry soap can be sold or what they can contain?

This might make a difference in what you choose to wash the socks with, and what type you choose to use from an environmental point of view.

I grew up in Michigan, and companies had to reformulate their products to sell them in the Great Lakes State. No phosphates allowed. I remember Walmart getting fined on a regular basis for selling the wrong type of Tide.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I dont use any soap when washing ,just let the machine do what it does .

Oxyclean huh !! interesting that you use that to wash your filter and it doesnt harm your tank ,very interesting ,knock on wood

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I don't pre or post wash. I use the washing machine in my house. I use a little bleach and a scoop of oxyclean. Been doing it for a few months. No probs.

T

twinreef

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
i use bleach also. i'm been using it for a year or more without any problems.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
hmm all these cycles and ide be spend more money washing them ,be cheaper just to buy new ones :lol2:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
You have plenty of space in your kitchen to put a stackable set of W/D. May cost a grand, but would last you years and years - amortorize that over time and I bet you'd be spending less per wash than you do now AND you won't have any worries OR have to take the elevator to the basement only to find they are being used by someone else :Up_to_som

House

hmm all these cycles and ide be spend more money washing them ,be cheaper just to buy new ones :lol2:

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Deep, I use a laundromat also. But I run my whites before. I add a splash of bleach to the load. Then I wash my filtersocks after. No soap, but a bit of bleach. Once bleach evaporates it's pretty harmless. Plus you're using such a small ammount in the load it gets pretty diluted.

20 filter socks at $3 is $60. Spend the extra $1 for a full cycle without the bleach if you want. you'd have to wash them 59 more times to 'waste' that extra wash dollar.

B

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That depends if the building allows W/D in the apts. When I lived in the Co-op, I may or may not have sneaked in a stackable W/D. It may or may not have been put in a closet near the kitchen.

Steven

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Rinse with hot water to get the large stuff off then I let them soak in a bucket with water and bleach. I just keep them there until all my socks are used up. When I'm down to my last 2 I just rinse the socks that have been soaking in the bucket and then put them back in the bucket to soak again in water for another day and then hang dry them.

Then the cycle starts all over again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: