6   0   0
8f0b5e72989af91e9a26133b6f2a19a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Man you have some patients...

More like a budget. Lol, but yeah I want to minimize my mistakes with this build by taking it slow and easy. Making sure I have all the equipment running the way I want it to so when I add livestock then it should be in for the long haul so I shouldn't have to make any major adjustments.

I have an attachable lens for my iPhone so I can take macro shots but it's still difficult cause the subject has to be right by the glass since my phone isn't waterproof . Photos of amphipods aren't exciting but it's what I've got for now

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I had a few bucks left from my allowance and thought I'd get some things on my list. Namely a new pump for my patio pond (my previous pump broke from a raccoon messing with it ) and got a battery powered air pump (just for safety sake...and collection excursions)
83545c1a027ce85d0c3b1979c0ff34ff.jpg

I'm also ready for temps to stabilize outside so I can stock my "pond" so here's this:
84e339e5d0256b0917df568bca73d8ea.jpg

RotaryReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
What persuaded you to choose the Penn-Plax pump?

I dig the patio pond!

Yea this weather is ridiculous, beautiful outside today, 5" of snow forecasted tomorrow, and than another 8" of snow for tuesday

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So while I dream of the day I start to add corals and fish to my tank I'm considering what I want on the back rock wall. I love mushrooms and I think they'd do really well on the wall in spaces where lighting won't be as intense. I've been watching the Market forum for mushrooms. I don't like ricordias or hairy mushrooms though. I like blue, purple, green and red ones. Of course those "Super man" red with blue spots are super cool too

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I know people have issues with GSP overtaking their rockwork but I've had a small flat piece of rock that I kept on the sand bed away from anything it could spread to and I kept it trimmed. I just love the way it moves in the current and being so bright and green. I'll likely put a a slow growing Sps or two on my outcroppings on the back where there's plenty of light on the wall. On my main display rockscape I want to put an Acro right in the middle. Like a tricolor or something similar. Then I'll surround it with other SPS, birdsnests, and some encrusting corals. I'll have acans on the sandbed and I'd love an ORA maxima ultra, even if I'll have to either sell or upgrade tanks one day.

I love dreaming and planning. Gets me through the day

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was going to do a water change today but my refractometer is garbage. Well I'm about to throw it in the garbage. It doesn't hold calibration and while it says it's equipped with "integrated automatic temperature compensation", it doesn't act like it. So I ordered a new one off Amazon with good reviews and I'll compare the two. We shall see. FYI the one that sucks is sold by RedSea, their ratings for this refractometer on Amazon are not very good. I'm bummed I had to use my months aquarium allowance to replace equipment but I guess it's better to have everything ready for when I stock the tank.
af8a77a74c1639914a8a9b385799ec3c.jpg

Last edited:

RotaryReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was going to do a water change today but my refractometer is garbage. Well I'm about to throw it in the garbage. It doesn't hold calibration and while it says it's equipped with "integrated automatic temperature compensation", it doesn't act like it. So I ordered a new one off Amazon with good reviews and I'll compare the two. We shall see. FYI the one that sucks is sold by RedSea, their ratings for this refractometer on Amazon are not very good. I'm bummed I had to use my months aquarium allowance to replace equipment but I guess it's better to have everything ready for when I stock the tank.
af8a77a74c1639914a8a9b385799ec3c.jpg

Damn that sucks. Which refractometer did you go with on amazon? I have had this one for 5 months with no issues. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ES6MOQ/?tag=reefs04-20

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I've been meaning to tidy up some cables and so I got these Command clips to hold cables. I'm pretty happy with them thus far.
34d60eaeca065b9f5441217c702de7b5.jpg
also got my refractometer today and was able to do a water change. Very productive day!

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Today while at work I was building up some Zen staring at my FW Planted Spec V tank when I saw some baby cherry shrimp! Very exciting, even if it's freshwater and not a reef tank.
853512f4314c6ead2ec4eff0ed4034f9.jpg
this little creature is like 1/2 cm long so it must've been in there for at least 2-3 weeks and I didn't notice it

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nice , I keep saying I'm gonna set up another FW tank , but ever since I got into saltwater I can't get myself to go back to FW

I started up my little nano FW tank before I got the green light to start up a Biocube reef again. I couldn't just have a tank with gravel and glo-fish though. I wanted plants and shrimps, snails and more. It's a very diverse tank for the footprint. It's my zen space. Gotta do something with my cubicle to make it better.
63b7ee787ea3f15841549821979e2cff.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: