r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks, this is my 6th build since I first started the hobby almost 8 years ago. I learned early on that when I rushed a build I had more problems so I'm not in a hurry. Already things are going really well as I have a booming copepod and amphipod population with no predators... yet. One of my favorite "nano" fish is the six line wrasse. I'm considering B&W clowns but not certain yet if I want them nipping me every time I put my hand in for maintenance. I may stick with some clown gobies, a six line and plenty of inverts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RotaryReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks, this is my 6th build since I first started the hobby almost 8 years ago. I learned early on that when I rushed a build I had more problems so I'm not in a hurry. Already things are going really well as I have a booming copepod and amphipod population with no predators... yet. One of my favorite "nano" fish is the six line wrasse. I'm considering B&W clowns but not certain yet if I want them nipping me every time I put my hand in for maintenance. I may stick with some clown gobies, a six line and plenty of inverts.

Ive been debating getting a six-line for my tank but read that they can be aggressive. Don't want one to bully my clowns.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The refractometer I got works much better and I still have the redsea one and I plan to use them in tandem to make certain until I'm comfortable with the new one too then I'll toss the redsea one. If I can calibrate both and get the same result then I feel warm and fuzzy.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
NanoSteve said:
Ive been debating getting a six-line for my tank but read that they can be aggressive. Don't want one to bully my clowns.

Yeah they can nip a bit but I had one with clowns and they both would go back and forth but never a serious issue. Never know though

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
PAYDAY! Frag day! Who's got some!? Gonna troll around to see who I can get to sell me some frags of acro, birdsnest, monti-digi/cap, acans, zoas, mushrooms. I don't need large colonies or rare ($$$) types. My payday consists of my wife giving me $100 from my paycheck to use as I wish. Apparently the rest of my check goes into something called "Savings" which I think means she's saving it from my hobbies. So gotta make it stretch!

STHILL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Take a trip to aquatic obsession they had a stocked frag section over the weekend they sections were $15, $30 , $40 and $50.. each section was buy 2 get 1 free ..the $40 section was $40 each or 4 for $100..I picked up some nice frags

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well I think I've got some good people on Staten Island that are willing to sell me some great frags! Got my kids at scouts tonight and I all I can think about is where I'm going to put things in the tank.

I've been having a lot of salt creep around the lid of this Biocube. It wasn't much of a problem in my oceanic BC but it maybe caused by my uneven floor... I live in an old place and the floors are uneven. When I vacuum it's like a rollercoaster ride. I tried to level it out using some wood shims but I fear it's getting worse. The Biocube stand has 4 plastic "feet" and I wonder if I should remove them and it may be easier to level the stand. Of course that means I need to drain the tank of water.

That's no big deal, it'll make it easier to glue any frags that's for sure . It's just rock in there for now anyway. Rock, sand and amphipods...

Would be nice if I could just have the floor repaired but apparently they frown on tenants doing their own carpentry.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How about this?
89554d97bb6b645900a02e41841b8817.jpg
thoughts?

RotaryReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
How about this?
89554d97bb6b645900a02e41841b8817.jpg
thoughts?

Don't think it would be a good idea mounting on the side of the stand like that, it is made of composite board so you run the risk of coming home and seeing your tank on the floor! I would level it from the bottom, I used wooden shims like you did on my biocube and never had a problem of it sinking. If it did over the course of a few months just give it another shimmy!

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was thinking that the composite stand would be an issue. I could pre drill and use a nut/bolt with a solid wood backing inside the stand...

That's a lot more work than just using shims though. I still need to take those stupid plastic feet off the stand though to make better use of any shims.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok, today I emptied water, cleaned out the stand and removed the feet from the bottom of the stand. Then I got my level out and put in wood shims. I put the tank back on and filled it, viol? it's level and stable! Hooray, that should solve my creep problem.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I've been unable to get on to MR cause Tapatalk has been acting dumb. I got some fun frags and spread them around my tank where I liked them best and also wherever I could get them situated.
6f2ccc486dd07deb8f08f69873822fe7.jpg
efe0cd39e466c16c4212d21a7b7fbafe.jpg

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My pictures are cruddy, couldn't find my lens. Point is I plan to grow out these frags and I'm not in a hurry. Next corals I'm saving for are a couple acans and of course more mushrooms for my wall. Then a CLAM! Oh yeah fish too, I've got a list of acceptable fish. I don't plan on getting clowns still but sticking with other nano sized fish. I love Rainfords Gobies and six lines but I'm hoping to encourage fan worm growth so may have to nix the six. I like clown gobies but haven't had success with them for some reason they stopped eating once in my tanks in the past. I may try a royal gamma but I'm going to keep researching and watching for a good deal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: